• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV Atlanta area - stored 28 years

roger

Bronze Level Sponsor

hello, newbi to forums and sunbeams. Found a '67 alpine in georgia and drove down from charlotte,n.c. last sunday and now own it. Body good,very minimal rust and everything there.Steering box has a chunk 1/2 inch out of it.Stored for 20 years, motor is free to turn.a/m hardtop.Whats this thing worth,roughly, and how hard is it to find a steering box? roger

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Welcome Roger! It sounds like you got a really nice car. I have a parts car and live just South of you. We have plenty of Sunbeam gatherings here in the Carolinas and look forward to meeting you. Eric

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
roger, the value of a particular Alpine is one of the mysteries of the universe. They are uncommon and mostly unknown to the public, leading to a very erratic market. About the best that can be said is to value the car for what it means to you and never look at it as a money making venture.

I have no idea how much I have spent on my car or its value. It is a long term hobby-project so the expenses in any given time frame are not that great. My wife understands and is cool with that, as she likes it as much or more than I do and knows a person needs something to keep them off the couch and getting to deep into the suds.. She also enjoys the company of fellow Alpiners and finds The Invasions to be a high point of each year.

I hope you are similarly blessed.

Bill

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Welcome Roger,
We have a great group of Alpine / Tiger owners here in the Carolinas and look forward to having you come join us. As Eric mentioned below he has a parts car that will have the parts you need. There probably is not a better source for Sunbeam stuff in our area than Eric. We are having a big Sunbeam gathering on the weekend of March 31st here in Columbia. That will give you a target date to get-er running. Good Luck with the car. Oh Bill stated the value very well! It's a big ? The Sunbeam Tigers are getting some press and have jumped in price and regularly sell in the $35,000.00 range. The Alpine however is still averaging under $10,000.
Cheers,

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi Roger
Stephen here in Waxhaw just south of you we have 2 Sunbeams in town. send a email massage to me sjjsmith@aol.com is your sunbeam red I seen one near 16 and 51 one day.

Anyway give a call and will get together

Stephen

roger

Bronze Level Sponsor
I wish it were running! Its holly green, hasn't run in 22 years, But I'll get her going.Steering box has a chunk out of it, looks like I have to pull the engine to get at itand I'mm deciding about total rebuild.All parts are there, tho.How many guys are within driving distance of charlotte,nc? roger

roger

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oh yeah, my wife wants to drive it.I have to decide total restore or driver, steering box has a chunk out of it and It looks like I have to pull the engine.Just wonder about parts availability for redoing everything.Can you manualy hand crank start this car? Theres a fitting on end of crank and hole thru body to insert tool. Is tool available? How cool is that!ThanksI'm sure I'll need lots of parts,

roger

Bronze Level Sponsor
thats the one! I got it home and first thing took off the yellow and beige stripes.You should see the light blue green carpet!Anyone know what holly green looks like? thats the original color. roger

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Oh yeah, my wife wants to drive it.I have to decide total restore or driver, steering box has a chunk out of it and It looks like I have to pull the engine.Just wonder about parts availability for redoing everything.Can you manualy hand crank start this car? Theres a fitting on end of crank and hole thru body to insert tool. Is tool available? How cool is that!ThanksI'm sure I'll need lots of parts,

Yes, you can hand crank the car. All you need is the crank. They are pretty easy to hand start.

Bill

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
you can use 1&5/16 socket to crank it if you have 2 long socket extensions you have to install the socket first the hook up the ratchet

Stephen 704 661-7720

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
you can use 1&5/16 socket to crank it if you have 2 long socket extensions you have to install the socket first the hook up the ratchet

Stephen 704 661-7720
I should of said you can crank it to move it don't start it with ratchet

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Before starting a restoration of a vehicle, be it a car, bike, scooter or whatever it is always best to get it running and put some miles on it. That way any faults will soon become apparent and may be remedied as you go along. As to the value, anything is only worth what someone will pay for it. I hope that you will have a long and happy ownership of the car - I'm sure that you won't regret buying it.

roger

Bronze Level Sponsor
anyone know what manual I should buy to restore a '67 alpine?Shop manual from somewhere or chiltons, etc.thanks , roger

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
WSM 145, available as a reprint from our Sunbeam parts friends, Classic and Sunbeam Specialties, both on the web. You should order up a hard copy. Until that arrives, you can reference the PDF version on this site's homepage, under Technical Data. Parts list and owner's manual is handy as well.

Happy wrenchin'

roger

Bronze Level Sponsor
brake booster

My s5 has no brake booster. just master cyl andfluid reservoir.Do girling brake boosters give more stopping power,I've heard brakes are low point of the car and that the booster is useless,take it off! roger

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
My s5 has no brake booster. just master cyl andfluid reservoir.Do girling brake boosters give more stopping power,I've heard brakes are low point of the car and that the booster is useless,take it off! roger

I would disagree, Roger, but there are plenty who would say they feel as you do.

I feel that the booster gives a lighter feel to the pedal, and indeed that's the way the car was originally designed, so I'm inclined to feel it is most 'correct'. The car was meant to be driven by women and by men, and the Alpine was a supposed to be more of a 'luxury' sports car, so having that lighter pedal and more responsive braking was important. It also helped differentiate the car from the MGB's, Alfa's and other competitors of the time, as power brakes were really only a feature of more expensive cars at the time (like Jaguar and Aston Martin). Indeed, the Alpine's closest competitor, the MGB, didn't get power brakes until the 1975 model year, 9 years after the Alpine was history. Removing the booster changes the character of the car and significantly 'devalues' it my opinion.

The brakes on an Alpine are definitely not a 'low point' on the car. Properly maintained they work very well indeed, in comparison to other cars of that era. Granted, they don't work as well as modern anti-lock brakes, but then no car of that era has brakes that work that well either.

Having said that, yes, the car can operate just fine without a booster, but with a higher pedal effort or longer pedal travel (depending on if you leave the original master cylinder or if you replace it with a smaller diameter one). But I'd urge you to try driving an Alpine with a booster - you'll feel a real difference.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Due to having two original boosters that wouldn't hold a rebuild last winter, I've been driving my Series V without a booster for the past year, including a little autocrossing. As soon as I have time to fabricate a mounting bracket per Nick Odell's advice, I'll be installing an aftermarket booster recently bought from Victoria British (now on sale for $250).

Alpine boosters don't supply nearly the boost compared to modern cars. But sans booster altogether, it's like going back to "Yabba-Dabba-Doo! times and using your bare feet to drag the car to a halt.

roger

Bronze Level Sponsor
Brake Booster

ok, thanks for the brake feedback.Now I stripped down the stromberg carbs, put a rebuild kit in and the slide got stuck. took it out and straightened needle.Better, but is it supposed to go all the way down so choke lever lifts it up a certain amount?Right now the choke barely touches bottom of slide.Thanks, roger