1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Sunbeam Tiger Differential Gear Ratio Tag

Discussion in 'Sunbeam Tiger' started by tylerite3124, Oct 15, 2021.

1. tylerite3124

tylerite3124 Platinum Level Sponsor

I understand that Tiger differentials were fitted with a factory tag that was stamped with the correct gear ratio. Can anyone post a picture of what one of these tags looks like? I've searched the internet but obviously in the wrong places since I have not been able to locate a picture of one. Thanks for any help.

Rick

2. 260Alpine

260Alpine Silver Level Sponsor

Metal tag, 2.88 ratio and LS if limited slip.

3. tylerite3124

Thanks Jim. Do you have a picture? Or know where I can find one?
    Rick

4. 260Alpine

No, I looked, but probably same as 60's Jeeps except ratio. Maybe another Tiger owner can snap a pic.

5. Pete S.

Pete S. Bronze Level Sponsor

I found this image on the interweb. Should be self-explanatory.

Attached Files:

6. tylerite3124

Thanks for the picture Pete. Looks like a very rusty, illegible tag under the topmost bolt? I can't make out what is stamped/embossed on the tag though.
    Rick

7. 260Alpine

Rick, here is a Jeep D44 tag. Would think the Tiger would be similar but 49-17 and 2.88 ratio.
    Jeep D44 tag.jpg

8. tylerite3124

Thanks for the picture. Yes, there are a couple of tags I’ve seen with 49 over 17 embossed into the tag that would indicate a 2.88 gear ratio. Perhaps because so many stock Tiger differentials were swapped out is the reason most tags are missing.

Rick

9. Pete S.

Pete S. Bronze Level Sponsor

I channeled my inner contortionist and got this image of my diff tag. This is the original diff & tag for B9471799. Hope this answers your questions.

My car has been family owned since 1970.

Attached Files:

10. tylerite3124

Thanks Pete. Pretty much confirms what I need to know.
    Rick