• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Steering Wheels

bashby

Donation Time
Ken Corbin 303-364-5787 resto-mods Sunbeam steering wheels, he repairs the bakelite housing and wood wraps the rim, the rim can be thin like OEM or thicker. The photo shows one wrapped in walnut but does not do it justice.
Ken does not have email or web access and he requested that I post this for him
-Bill

Attachments

• Ken3.jpg
    Ken3.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 148

bashby

Donation Time
You would need to contact Ken for cost information.
The steering wheel allows you to keep the immediate/simple adjustability of the telescopic column (unlike the Moto-Lita that I have which requires removal of the horn button and using a socket to loosen/tighten the nut).

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is something I posted in 2010:

If you need a complete new hub, Ken Corbin in Colorado can cast one for you for about $150. You send your wheel to him and he sends it back with a new hub. He only does them during certain times of the year, as humidity plays a role in how the plastic cures, but he does good work and is easy to deal with, at least easy for someone who doesn't have email in this day and age. :D His work (including his custom steering wheels) has been discussed several times here before. Just type "corbin" in the search engine and you will come up with his contact details and photos.

Ken restored a stock wood wheel for me. He re-glued and re-varnished the wood and cast a new hub. I would not call his work "show quality". The new hub is probably stronger and longer lasting than the original, but doesn't look as good as a perfect original. The wood is very good but again not perfect. Of course, that is probably more a function of what he started with than his craftsmanship. Still, it is very good and reasonably priced. It would use him again without hesitation.

RootesRich

Donation Time
I saw Ken a couple of weeks ago when I gave him a wheel to restore for a customer who wanted 3 wheels. Bill's correct when he says pictures don't do his work justice.
In addition to steering wheels, Ken makes seat covers and soft tops.

niskyander2

Donation Time
Ken Corbin steering wheel

I did get 1 of Ken's steering wheel. It is very nicely done and reasonably priced. While a brand new factory made wheel has it's place, I love the fact he took an old dilapidated Sunbeam steering wheel, shortened it from 15.5" to 13.5", put a new hand-made wooden wheel on it and brought it back to life.
See picture.

Attachments

• Corbin Steering Wheel.jpg
    Corbin Steering Wheel.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 79