• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam sales hot spots?

moonracer

Donation Time
I've dealt with saabs most all my life and have always had a couple of Alpines since I was 16. In the Saab world there were pockets of the country where the cars sold much better than the other areas in the old days. The north East was the biggest spot, followed buy MN, WI, IA as a very good hot spot. There was also a high amount of sales in the North West (OR, WA,) Where were the hot spots for Sunbeam sales? IA MN must not have been as there are very few parts or cars in this area.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
For some reason, and I have *no* idea why, the state of Ohio seems to have been a big area for sports cars in general. I suspect it may just be in certain areas you have particularly good/effective dealers, but that's just a guess. Also, locations near sports-racing facilities may also have experienced enhanced sports car buying, particularly in the 60's when owners racing their own street cars was less expensive and more common.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I think, in addition to the factors mentioned above, that Wright-Patterson AFB had some influence, too. Concentration of go-fast flyboys, engineers, and mechanics, stationed or employed longer-term (compared to other services), coupled with "not too hot, not too cold" weather, and decent driving scenery, made for a sports car friendly environment. Employees were paid well enough to support "traditional" one-income family arrangements, and many families did the "station wagon + dad's car for work" thing. If dad's car was fun, all the better. And for the single guys, well, no station wagon required.

I did a few internships at WPAFB, and remember seeing many MGs, Triumphs, and Austin Healeys in the mix of Rambler Americans and Ford Falcons.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, Ken, I definitely think you're on the mark on that... near any military base in the 50's and 60's you'd find tons of sports cars... not just LBC's, but also Corvettes and other high-performance vehicles.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Keep in mind too that the cars came into the country through Detroit as one of the ports of entry. And there was a large distributor located in Lexington as I recall.

65beam

Donation Time
hot spots

in addition to wright/pat, there also was rickenbacker air base at columbus and also one in wilmington. couple that with george byers in columbus that was midwest distributor for rootes/chrysler along with many other british marques and they dumped lots of import cars into the area. wally swift could tell about having a shipment of MK 2 tigers on the docks that were designated to be rationed out to dealers only to find that byers had traded the other dealers out of them and byers took most of the cars. the father of a friend of mine was a local chrysler dealer in the sixties and he told us several years ago that byers tried to get every chrysler dealer in the area to sell sunbeams after the chrysler takeover. they were aggressive ! there was a photo of the 60's byers import show room on their website. it may have held three cars!

moonracer

Donation Time
AFB's make sense, I was just wondering as there are almost none around here. I'm pushing 50 and only remember of 2 other Sunbeams ever around Southern MN/northern IA. One is an early one VERY rusty and cobbled up. It's still around with grand ideas of being rebuilt. The other disappeared years ago but was a rather nice one (at least compaired to the one I had back then)

jack Bacon

Donation Time
Hi Marty,

Back in the early 1980's the Twin Cities had the Midwest Sunbeam Registry Sunbeam club. There were around 62 members with 39 Alpines, 20 Tigers, 1 Imp, 1 Harrington Alpine and a Harrington Lemans. Apparently the Harrington Alpine found its way to Ian who restored it and sold it to a guy in Australia I believe.

Jack

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
It depends on the area you're dealing with. When I bought my first Alpine, I'd guarantee that 5% of the cars in a 10 mile radius around my home were Sunbeams. How many was that? ONE. I lived in a rather sparsely populated area.

moonracer

Donation Time
Hi Marty,

Back in the early 1980's the Twin Cities had the Midwest Sunbeam Registry Sunbeam club. There were around 62 members with 39 Alpines, 20 Tigers, 1 Imp, 1 Harrington Alpine and a Harrington Lemans. Apparently the Harrington Alpine found its way to Ian who restored it and sold it to a guy in Australia I believe.

Jack

any info on the Twin Cities club? I remember you e-mailing some info quite awhile back. Might be time to look into it. After the Invasion last year my Sunbeam has gained alittle more importance in my life.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
There were three Sunbeam dealerships here in Dayton.
1) Lewis Auto Sales, West 3rd st, Dayton (One Lemans was delivered there)
2) Wagner Auto Sales, Fairborn OH (located within feet of the WPAFB perimenter fence!)
3) Sports, Inc (I think thats the name, also located in Fairborn)

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Tulsa, OK

We had a foreign car import sales here and not sure how many Alpines but a lot of Tigers were sold through the dealer. I have the only running Alpine in the Metro Tulsa Area but I know of 10 Tigers still in the area, not sure how many are running.

Donna
:D