• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam on ebay

65beam

Donation Time
e bay

it appears to be either a series 1 or 2 instrument panel due to the raised gauges, has an early gas pedal, series 2 brake fluid reservoir, early oil filter and series 5 seats. it looks to be a mix of several cars and would require a lot of adjustment to the doors and trunk lid. notice how the doors stick out past the body and the trunk is above the body. it looks good but you wonder what engine and gearbox is in it.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
it appears to be either a series 1 or 2 instrument panel due to the raised gauges, has an early gas pedal, series 2 brake fluid reservoir, early oil filter and series 5 seats. it looks to be a mix of several cars and would require a lot of adjustment to the doors and trunk lid. notice how the doors stick out past the body and the trunk is above the body. it looks good but you wonder what engine and gearbox is in it.

Boy Oh Boy.You seem to have sharp eyes.I did not notice that the doors.hood and trunk were that far off.I agree the drivers door may need an adjustment.The hood looks pretty good to me.There are ways to even get the trunk a bit lower at the hinges.
If somebody wanted a sharp Alpine as driver this would be a good one.The door can be tweaked.Oil filter can be changed.The MC brake can be Changed.The grill can be changed.All this can be done without touching the paint..Think if you started out to restore and what the costs would be. A few bucks here and there and there you go with a possible winner albeit not a perfect stock Alpine to compete in Concours

Thankfully I'm so far from stock all the negative comments do not bother me even though I do love to see a perfect Alpine or Tiger.
I did not have a few bushels of money for my cars so all the work is done by me.As per example I spent $8780.00 ( I have the bills)on the Lister clone.Add a thousand or so for the little things like bolts and screws and stuff that never got included.That makes approxamitely $10,000 and change.I have seen 25 to 30 thousand spent on a Sunbeam.But then I can drive my cars anywhere anytime

Oh well I can and do rant on sometimes it would seem
As Ellen says:;be kind;

alpine_64

Donation Time
There was quite a detailed discussion about this car last timeit was on ebay.. lots of incoreect details cross series parts etc.. if you dig up the thread we can probably see what they were asking for it last time.. IIRC they wanted a decent amount

65beam

Donation Time
e bay

chuck,
as i said before,it looks like a mix of several series of cars. i just wonder why. there seems to be many early series parts and they appear to be where they should be . so my question is has it had a rear clip added to it? the trunk and door adjustment may be due to having the wrong furflex on it. i have seen cars with the stuff that VB sells and it is way too heavy and you have to have the doors set out to get them to latch. the same with their trunk seal.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Chuck's Alpine was commented on at length the last time it came up for sale. Lots of interesting multi-Series personalizations, though I don't think I've ever seen anyone go back to the torpedo.

The '69 fastback for sale in Salem, Oregon has also been around the block several times. 48K "believed to be original." Uh-huh. Sounds like the prior owner (who knew better) unloaded it and the new guy's trying to flip it, also quoting the silly NADA price.

This is a very decent Coupe (not a GT), but in the decades it was in the Seattle area, the two consecutive owners (both Sunbeam enthusiasts and Series Alpine owners) used it as a daily driver, maintained it well and collectively put at least 100K on it.

It's never reached $3K in prior auctions, so the $4500 price may ultimately not be so "firm."

alpine_64

Donation Time
chuck,
as i said before,it looks like a mix of several series of cars. i just wonder why. there seems to be many early series parts and they appear to be where they should be . so my question is has it had a rear clip added to it?

I dont think its an early car with a rear clip.. but if it was it would have to be a S3 alpine.. to put that screen and the S3 onwards doors/softtop setup etc.. on a SI/II would take a lot of effort.. and i just dont seem someone going down that path.

I'd say they have a SIV and have maybe had an early parts car.. or just like the early style fittings and have used those.

but without seeing the car.. who knows:confused:

atallamcs

Donation Time
ebay car

I am not sure but this car may have been the white one they had a year ago and tried for the same dollars. Maybe they painted it in an effort to sell. How likely is it a dealer would have two alpines? Also, as we pick it apart, are the tail light lenses upside down?
Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
I am not sure but this car may have been the white one they had a year ago and tried for the same dollars. Maybe they painted it in an effort to sell. How likely is it a dealer would have two alpines? Also, as we pick it apart, are the tail light lenses upside down?
Bill

yes and faded

65beam

Donation Time
e bay

i guess it could be called a true california custom. michael needs to buy it and get it out of the states.

65beam

Donation Time
e bay

michael,
it's not a GT. i think you're forgetting that we cut up a rust free series 3 GT for parts to restore a series 4 ST. and all offers to buy it after it's done would be refused .

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,
it's not a GT. i think you're forgetting that we cut up a rust free series 3 GT for parts to restore a series 4 ST. and all offers to buy it after it's done would be refused .

oh.. didnt know it was going to be a bitsa.. maybe i should just grab this one like you suggested.. :p

65beam

Donation Time
e bay

michael,
you just have to understand the mind set of our body man. he has forty years of working on sunbeams and if there is any sign of rust after coming back from the dipper, he just cuts away and replaces. it might be a bitsa as you called it, but it will be a perfect bitsa body. i would say the car on e bay would get noticed as you drive it down the road.