• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam colours

ALC 68A

Donation Time
I would suggest that modern cyano black paint with a clear coat finish on top, will have a much greater depth than Rootes original Embassy Black, so would tend to reflect the sky and give a bluish tone. Black was a special order colour by the time this Tiger was made. Steve

65beam

Donation Time
I would suggest that modern cyano black paint with a clear coat finish on top, will have a much greater depth than Rootes original Embassy Black, so would tend to reflect the sky and give a bluish tone. Black was a special order colour by the time this Tiger was made. Steve
John's car looks great in person. John and this Tiger usually have the fastest time of the day in the TE/AE autocross. In reference to an earlier post it should be noted that Deltron is no longer available.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Deltron is PPGs high end base coat, also called DBC. It is top coated with a clear coat, so this is a 2 stage
paint ( base/clear) They are easier to get a smooth paint job due to multiple layers of clear over the base
which are usually color sanded to remove any errors and then buffed & polished. 2 stage paint has more depth
and shine than a single stage job.

Single stage paint is basically clear coat tinted with the pigments that make up the base coat in a 2 stage paint
job, only applied together in one step. It can be sanded and buffed, but not to the extent of a 2 stage job. You can
put a clear coat over the single stage paint, but it's a false economy.
Single stage paint take a bit more finesse to lay down really smooth and doesn't have the depth of a 2 stage job.
Most older car ( meaning ours) came from the factory with single stage paint.

Just figured I'd save you some time when looking for paint.

Cheers!
Steve

65beam

Donation Time
The reducer for the Deltron used in 95 on the blue car shown in my avatar has been unavailable for several years. None 107_1008.JPG 100_0192.JPG 105_0010.JPG 110_0357.JPG of these cars have a clear coat.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
In reference to an earlier post it should be noted that Deltron is no longer available.[/QUOTE]

I just purchased a gallon of Deltron today. Had it custom mixed at my usual paint supplier. You must be confused
with another product as Deltron is widely used and available. Not sure which reducer isn't available either. Perhaps you're
thinking Imron? I'm actually interested in finding out what paint was used on your cars. I know PPG does discontinue products
but Deltron isn't one of them. Do you have an old paint can from the paint that was used on your cars?

Now I'm confused.

Cheers!
Steve

65beam

Donation Time
I do have almost a gallon of what Doug Jennings at Tiger Auto used to paint the blue car in 1995. Not sure it still has a label on it. I haven't documented the paint info for the cars as I do for everything else bought and used in the restorations over the years. Just like our 12 year old Impala is nothing like the new one but carries the same name, lots of things have changed concerning paint in the last 25 years so the name may remain the same but the products are a lot different. All I know is that he and the paint rep have told me that the Deltron paint and reducer used at that time is NLA. Those are the facts as told to me and that's good enough for me.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
EPA issued paint vapor regulations sometime during the 90's. That led to the popularity of water based paint by the car manufacturers. I have no idea what that may have done to color availability. I do know it stirred up the painting industry. It also caused a lot of problems with sewage treatment plants that accepted paint contaminated water from car manufacturers. Princeton, Indiana was one of them.

Bill

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Single stage paint take a bit more finesse to lay down really smooth...
My experience is just the opposite, because applying basecoat/clearcoat, the application of clear can be a big pain-in-the-azz just because.....it's clear! Any specks of dirt in the air, old paint particles out of the spray gun and so on will be seen in the clear. Typically, one spray gun is dedicated to only to spray clearcoat, and nothing else.....EVER!
Applying single-stage is much easier. Dirt and whatever is buried in the paint. Also, it's way easier to do spot repairs. Never had a problem "laying it down", I'm not sure what that the intent is there?
I have used both and have been spray painting autos since like 1967 including lacquer, enamels, Imron, urethane and so on and so on.
All I use for my restorations (Alpine/Tiger) is Glasurit, #22 line (single stage, activated urethane).
Jan

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
You're correct about dedicated spray guns. I have two that are only used for that purpose,
and the reason for that is exactly what you described.

I've been spraying base/clear for about 20 years and it's what I prefer as clear can be very forgiving
with trash that can be deposited in it.

I've done some single stage jobs with great success as well.
As far as laying it down, it isn't as forgiving as the clear, but it does coat over mistakes and trash easier
than clear. It doesn't have the same depth that the clear usually gets.

My experience, YMMV.

Cheers!
Steve

65beam

Donation Time
This was painted by Doug in 1994 using no clear. Still looks good today. The date is wrong. This photo was taken last summer100_0564.JPG

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Looks great he may of used Concept single stage I have it on my Alpine its been on for 20 years still looks good and I have spoted it in the last 5 years and still shines well!

65beam

Donation Time
Looks great he may of used Concept single stage I have it on my Alpine its been on for 20 years still looks good and I have spoted it in the last 5 years and still shines well!

George,
It's the old Deltron.that he can't get reducer for. The green car was painted with Concept from 2012.107_1000.JPG

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I worked for a company that had a painting operation (among other things) during most of the 1980's and 90's. Not only was there a push to move to water based paint, but they were simultaneously removing lead which played hell with reds, oranges and yellows - our most popular colors. They were very interesting times!