• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine SII Deferential Question...

Sunbeam-Chile

Donation Time
Hi All,
I have a Sunbeam Alpine SII (1961) and I want to know something, and hope somebody can help me... What is the diferential ratio of my Alpine?

This weekend a old friend bring to my house a gift... a complete Hillman Minx IIIB Rear axle drive... only whitout wheels... at first look seems to be identicals, but what about inside?
Can I use as alternative spare part?
Any help? Thanks,
Pablo.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Your Alpine is likely 3.89, could be 4.22. The Hillman is probably around 5, 4.78 and 5.22 are numbers running around in my head.

Sunbeam-Chile

Donation Time
Thanks for the answer, So if my diferential goes bad and if I put the Hillman diferential in my Alpine... I guess the speed would be affected... more torque and less speed?... I'm Right?
Thanks,
Pablo.

Sunbeam-Chile

Donation Time
Thanks for the info...
My Alpine is equiped without overdrive "has letters LRX from factory" So, Anyone knows actual diferentilal ratio? and last, the diferential ratio from a Hillman Minx IIIB?..
Muchas Gracias,
Pablo.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Your car may or may not have it's original differential. Non OD cars are 3.89, see http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?categoryid=83

You can determine the actual ratio by following steps in post 3 of http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13857&highlight=ratio+differential

Edit to add:

If you can hold one end of the hillman diff stationary, you can do the same thing. Expect the Hillman to turn about 5 times. Not quite 5 is 4.78, a bit more is 5.22. Either way, it will work in a Alpine but unless you use your Alpine to climb walls you won't like it. On the plus side, many (but not all) parts will be useful if needed.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
All the rear gears I have, [3] have the #'s stamped into the rim of the crown gear; 9 x 35 for the 3.89. The pinion gear head is etched w/ a # also which I think is the shim thickness for the pinion. Anyone know for sure what those etchings indicate?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Pablo,

While you can use the Hillman gears the car will be unpleasant.

First gear will be VERY short.. you are likely to end up using 2nd to start, the top speed will be very low.. but probably more concern, driving round at 40mph in top you will be pulling revs that are going to be loud and put more wear on the engine than needed (probably running at 3000+) on the freeway you are not going to want to do more than about 50mph... not very practical.

Sunbeam-Chile

Donation Time
Pablo,

While you can use the Hillman gears the car will be unpleasant.

First gear will be VERY short.. you are likely to end up using 2nd to start, the top speed will be very low.. but probably more concern, driving round at 40mph in top you will be pulling revs that are going to be loud and put more wear on the engine than needed (probably running at 3000+) on the freeway you are not going to want to do more than about 50mph... not very practical.

Now I'm really clear.... So really thanks to all for your kind explanations, and I will lift the car and use the sugested method to determine the diferential ratio...
I'll keep the hillman diferential in last case.... or maybe some loose part can be used as spare...
Thanks again,
Pablo.