• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger steering wheel hub rebuild kits-member priced

PawPaw

Silver Level Sponsor
I could not locate a steering wheel for my series 1. The hub was severely crack and what I thought several pieces missing. Turns out the plastic had
cracked and shrunk. After having to drill and cut grub screws out to get horn ring off I repaired hub with J-B Weld epoxy. After hours of filling and
waiting for epoxy to cure it looks like this. I plan to lace a leather wheel cover on and paint the rest. It's not perfect by any means, but will do until
I find something better.

Attachments

• 20211112_180659.jpg
    20211112_180659.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20211112_180707.jpg
    20211112_180707.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20211112_180711.jpg
    20211112_180711.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20211118_165745.jpg
    20211118_165745.jpg
    658.4 KB · Views: 73

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
That was my hub pictured, and I tried to save the old one for your "rogues gallery", but it came off in small pieces. Thank you for an outstanding product!
Shannon
Don't let your original hub turn into this one that I saw at SUNI-and yes, he did buy a new kit from me to fix his.

View attachment 25122[/QUOTE]

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the great review Shannon!
I will have a few new hub repair kits at the Invasion and will do a tech session on installing one on a Sunbeam.
I also have pieces of old cracked ones to show too! But none as bad as yours was................
Eric

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
Now, to reinstall the wheel and seats, then drive to SC. I have to wait for the water to recede, we're kinda flooded....

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Late to the party, but I just bought one after talking about getting one for years now, and got it on my SIV yesterday.

For those wondering if it's worth the few hundred being asked for it, duuuuude, I don't even know where to begin.

It's surprisingly heavy and solid which surprised me, compared to the weaksauce OEM one and the new hub is ridiculously simple to install. You spend more time cleaning up and taking off the old hub from the steering wheel than installing the new one. No matter the condition of your Alpine, this hub will be one of the things to outlast your car. That's how well made it is.

Don't shorten the Allen-wrench bolts because it actually also holds the horn ring in along with the rest of it. One of the best things I've ever bought for the Alpine. My only regret is not buying it sooner.

The cost seems batshit but it's far from it when you see it with your dash and interior. Plus, it improved my steering somehow. I had some sort of slop or pull in the wheel and assumed it was the steering box but after changing it, the steering is really solid and true. I don't get that but I know it positively affected it.

Thank you guys for making this!!

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Scott for the great feedback! And I see in this thread that you did ask about getting one for several years. Al and I still have some left and we will sell them at the same club member price of $335 all in. Overseas costs more. And so does the one I list on eBay as their fees, taxes, etc. makes it more expensive. Have fun with your Sunbeam and thanks again. Eric