• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sub-Assemblies

A

AlpineIan

I'm going to be offering reconditioned sub-assemblies very soon. I've been breaking down rear end and cross members that I have and I'm getting them dipped and painted in black DP40 epoxy primer. I'm rebuilding the rear ends with new Crown Wheel and Pinion gears (3.89:1 & 3.70:1), and all new bearings and seals. I have yet to rebuild a front cross member, but I will be ordering new componests from Rootes Post Spares soon and testing them out. I should have pricing soon and would be making these assemblies available with a core exchange. If you are interested, please check with me on pricing. I'm getting very close to having completed assemblies on the shelf and ready for quick turn-around.

I'll be offering the following reconditioned parts:

Starters
Generators
Lucas one wire alternator kits
Front cross member assemblies complete
Rear end assemblies complete
Gearbox with and without OD
Drive Shafts
Heads
Short Blocks
Radiators - Improved core for better cooling.
Rear Springs
Stock Headers - chrome ceremic finish

Like I said, I need to finish some units and figure out time and pricing. I also need to come up with reasonable core prices. I will be wanting good serviceable cores because eventually I will run out of stock if I don't. I have a good start now on rear end assemblies and have (2) 3.89:1 rear ends completely rebuilt and waiting for housings to come back from the dipper. One is a fine spline and the other is a SI and early SII coarse spline.

I think that this will be a great service for Alpine owners. It will take me time to get stock on all of the things I want to make available, but if you are in need to order something let me know and I will focus on what every you are needing done.

britbeam

Donation Time
Ian I like this idea. Your spot on as our UK guys say. Oh you could go one step to the Dark side by offering modified Ford rear diffs for the Alpine. Hey its all green and there are plenty of cores. All the Best to you
Dwain V6 Krazy

A

AlpineIan

This service is badly needed. I've been parting out Alpines for over 20 years now and have started to break down all the rear end assemblies that I have kept. so far I've dismantled nearly 10 rear end assemblies from various series Alpines and nearly all of them have bad rear differentials. All rear ends need rebuilt if they haven't been done already. Same goes for front suspensions.

I just put a new 3.70:1 in Scott's Alpine and he noticed a huge difference in highway cruising. I'm also putting a 3.70 in Chris Bell's SV to replace the 4.22 that he has in it now. This conversion is an awesome and simple way to inprove the useability of and Alpine.

I also replaced Scott's radiator core with a new custom made core taking him from 40 rows to 49. The cores are also opened up from roughly 5/64" to 1/8" allowing for more flow. His radiator core was about 50% blocked and causing him to run hot. The new core solved his heating problems. As a result, Geoff Tedder had his race car core replaced and I took my Harrington Alpine's early style cross flow radiator in for a new core too. The early cores have the rows in an off-set pattern, which I've been told is not good. The new core will also increase with more and larger rows and no more off-set pattern. The picture below is a comparison between Scott's old core vs. the new one:
late_radiator.jpg

W

WaltSV

Ian,

I'd be a candidate for a differential.

Additionally, were you considering making the transition piece to use Sparto cylindrical reversing lights?

Walt

A

AlpineIan

Yes... I've not had a call from the tool shop yet on the Sparto bases. I'll drop in there this week and see if they have done anything. Call me about the diff... what ratio do you want?

napa 1

Donation Time
Ian, do you have any bumpers with series one over riders? For exchange. How is the cost of chroming in your area? In California it's Prohibitive.
thanks.
John.

A

AlpineIan

I only keep bumpers that are very straight or slightly damaged. I do have about 5 sets of decent bumpers that could be re-chromed. I just priced out a set at my local chrome shop. He is doing a SII windshield frame for me and my Lotus chrome. He quoted 700.00 for a complete set of front and rear bumpers with over-riders. I would want 100.00 each for bumper cores. Keep in mind that chrome plating turn around time is very slow. I would expect 3 to 6 months and in most cases longer. He has had my Lotus chrome for 6 months and I'm expecting him to call me with it any time now.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Sub-Assemblies - Rad Core

I a new custom made core taking him from 40 rows to 49. The cores are also opened up from roughly 5/64" to 1/8" allowing for more flow.
late_radiator.jpg

Hi Ian:
Can you give me a private message in regard to the cost of a custom made rad core?
Andrew

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Sub-Assemblies RAD Core

Cost was $350 - I should know, I paid it! :)

Hey Scott:
Are you saying that Ian charged you for it!:rolleyes:

I think it may be the way to go, have you found a big change in the car?
(I am sure I know the answer to that question.)

Thanks for the information.
Andrew

A

AlpineIan

Scott is in Mexico for the next 2 weeks... I have not talked to him about how the radiator is doing in and around town in traffic, but he said on the highway trip back from my place, the car maintained a nice cool temp.

Price on the new core assembled after tax was 375.17. They blast the mounting brackets and clean the tanks too... looks like a brand new radiator after it's painted. Don't forget, there will be shipping charges for me to mail it to you on top of that. At that price I'm not making any money for providing a core or delivery and pick up. They give them back to me unpainted, so I will need to charge for paint and time if you want me to paint it for you.

We just put one of the new recores into the Tedder race car too. It will see it's first race on June 30th.