• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stromberg Viton O rings

Hodee

Donation Time
Any source for Viton O rings for Stromberg needle jets? I bought some from an Auto parts store close in size but still a good leak from the bottom of the jet right on to the exhaust. Not a good scenario.

Hodee

Donation Time
I have tried numerous orings now with no success. What other reason would cause the carbs to leak fuel from the bottom? Stuck float? Searching for solutions, thanks.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Any source for Viton O rings for Stromberg needle jets? I bought some from an Auto parts store close in size but still a good leak from the bottom of the jet right on to the exhaust. Not a good scenario.
This is just a thought, there are any number of vendors that supply parts for cars that use Strombergs! I would suggest I know that later British Leyland cars used the cd, and cdse carbs. Perhaps they can give guidance for Viton o rings. Also check owners club web pages they have to have encountered this problem. A lot of rubber parts are manufactured off shore and are crap!

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
In this section of picture from WSM 145; 10, 16, and 18 are "O"-rings.

It appears 10 is usually above the bowl's fuel level while 16 and 18 are below.

Maybe the leak is from a different source than the "O"-ring you've changed?

Maybe there's corrosion in the carb body not allowing the "O"-ring to seal?

upload_2022-9-25_12-43-50.png

Hodee

Donation Time
Thanks for all the suggestions. Turns out it was an o ring further inside the carb that was bad. I had a few Vitons on hand and fit perfectly. Voila, about 45 seconds and 45 cents , good as new !