• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stromberg Leak

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
Car started running strange today when I got to may destination and turned off the engine smoke started coming out from under bonnet a quick check showed a gas leak coming from vent hole down to my header, glad it was wrapped.
I am thinking it's from a faulty float or oring.
Anyone ever have this problem before

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
If gas leaks from one of the ventholes of the Stromberg certainly the float needle doesn't close properly...

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, thank you Berbt_st your right on the money.
I pulled apart an old one and figured it out it had a good flloat and vent in the old one. I opened mine and the float on the one sidewhere the vent pin is was half filled so it could not seat the vent. My vent check out good I replaced the vent no leak
Thanks again

Stephen

Mark B

Donation Time
Stephen-

If you are still using the "needle" style fuel check valves, I would highly recommend moving to the ball style. The needle type are too easy to hang up or displace and will cause the symptoms you describe. Very easy to switch and fairly inexpensive.

Best,

Mark B

ziebellski

Donation Time
Mark B.:
Thank you for the Grose-jet recommendation. I'm having way too many flooding problems with my CD150 lately. I plan to upgrade to those jets this winter.

Todd Z.

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks Mark
Ball type sound good my needle one is working fine but if I have to rebuild again I will think about ball type sounds like a better back up to a bad float where can you get one