• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stromberg damper oil frequency

Hodee

Donation Time
How often/miles should the carb dampers require additional lightweight oil? I am using 5W20 because that is what I have on hand but seems I need to add more oil about every 75 miles or so. Any thoughts? usually filling to about 1/2 inch below the top.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The owners handbook says to top up the carburetor damper bores every 6,000 miles.

If you need to add oil every 75 miles, you probably have a leak in your diaphragms.

Mike

agmason54

Donation Time
Ho dee doe
l check mine once a year but forgot this year.Thanks for reminding me..l used Marvel Mystery Oil about 8000 miles ago.l hate Strombergs but run them because I can.
Get a two barrel if you really drive anywhere.
Life is too short to dump oil in carbs every whipstitch but what do l know?
Agm

65beam

Donation Time
stromberg

the carbs had a problem with loosing oil. go to the TE/AE site and look on the left side for "tech tips". click on that and scroll down for the rootes solution.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
the carbs had a problem with loosing oil. go to the TE/AE site and look on the left side for "tech tips". click on that and scroll down for the rootes solution.

The service bulletin 68-14 is about drilling a new hole and plugging an existing hole in the chamber cover. I expect that procedure should be done only after verifying the diaphragm is not the culprit.

Mike

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Re: diaphragms. A hole in just a single diaphragm usually results in drastically less power.

Do both carbs require such frequent topping off? The carbs should only be filled to the point where the damper piston meets resistance from the oil just before the damper threads make contact with the chamber.

When my Alpine was my daily driver, with typically worn Strombergs, topping every 1-2 months was the norm.

ziebellski

Donation Time
Hodee:
My Strombergs require topping off every 100 or so miles as well. Both have been rebuilt by me, then by a notable carb rebuilder as suggested by many on this forum. They still leak oil into the manifold. I'll figure it out someday, someday...

Hodee

Donation Time
I have not checked the diaphragms yet but, yes need oil about 75-100 miles and equal on both carbs. Power seems to be good. Filling about 1/2 inch below top. May call Doug Jennings for his thoughts.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Are the carbs actually empty of oil when you're topping them off? They don't need to be filled to near the top of the chamber. It could be that just the overfilled portion is being sucked up into the intake.

Mark B

Donation Time
I had the same issue for a long time, and had been using various oils recommended for "quicker throttle response" or various other reasons. When I started using plain old Castrol motor oil, generally the remnants of what I put in the engine. The issue went away. My only thought on the matter was similar to other discussions on the board regarding how some gaskets might swell differently with different oils or fluids. Perhaps the diaphragms responded differently to the plain motor oil versus the Marvel Oil or 3 & 1 oil I had previously used. Both my carbs had been rebuilt and leaked for nearly 5 years before I switched over, so I just thought it was part of owning the car. That being said, it could be so many other factors including the fact that the diaphragms are now so much older and may be breaking down somewhat and sealing better. Other gunk and junk might have built up in areas I can't access that is also contributing to sealing them versus newly cleaned and rebuilt carbs.

In any case, thats my two cents. I still am in the habit of checking them weekly and it has been fairly surprising to only add 4 to 8 drops every 6 weeks or so to make them full. My rear carb has been a bit sticky at high temps, and I am likely due to rebuild them in the next year. It will be interesting to see if they eat oil again after the rebuild.

Thanks,

Mark B

Hodee

Donation Time
to rootes racer, I fill to about 1/2 inch from top. room for the damper to go in without spilling over.