• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

stiffeners ?

Derek

Donation Time
Did the SV use the two stiffener brackets to the bell housing ? I've done an OD swap on mine and the WSM does not mention them nor does mine have them. Did they attach to the frame ? seems a bit odd with the rubber mounts..

Derek

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, the SV does use the stiffening bars. They run from the block to the bell housing.

Derek

Donation Time
Guess I'll have to find a pair. Do they use the sump bolts as an anchor point, or do they have their own spot ?

Thanks Derek

Jim in PA

Donation Time
I have an extra set of the stiffeners/ struts if you can't find yourself a pair on eBay or wherever... PM me if interested.
Jim

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
What is the purpose of the bars and why are they necessary with the steel oil pan and not the aluminum one? My SV has the aluminum oil pan from a fastback Alpine GT and, I believe like the fastback cars, has never had the stiffeners in the 34 years I have owned the car.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
What is the purpose of the bars and why are they necessary with the steel oil pan and not the aluminum one? My SV has the aluminum oil pan from a fastback Alpine GT and, I believe like the fastback cars, has never had the stiffeners in the 34 years I have owned the car.

The bellhousing to engine mounting points are high and the bottom of both are not well supported and allows vibration. The stiffener helsp provide rigidity down lower between the two.

The steel oil pan doesnt bolt to the bellhousing, the alloy pan does, making a VERY rigid engine/transmission interface.