• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering wheel retaining nut

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Hi guys,

Does anyone know the size of the big nut that retains the steering wheel (Series 3 onwards)? I was investigating why there is so much play in my wheel last night and once I'd got the adjuster extension off I found out that that is the only thing holding the wheel on!!

Cheers
Nick

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
No idea what the thread size is, I know exactly! 9/16 - 28. Rots of ruck finding that one. It does not even show up on my threading chart and it is from the 50's. The nut is probably going to have to come off of another Alpine or made to order. You might luck out and find another car that uses the same, very unstandard thread. The fine thread for 9/16 is 18 tpi and they are very rarely encountered. In fact, the whole 9/16 bolt family is just about dead.

Bill

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
No idea what the thread size is, I know exactly! 9/16 - 28. Rots of ruck finding that one. It does not even show up on my threading chart and it is from the 50's. The nut is probably going to have to come off of another Alpine or made to order. You might luck out and find another car that uses the same, very unstandard thread. The fine thread for 9/16 is 18 tpi and they are very rarely encountered. In fact, the whole 9/16 bolt family is just about dead.

Bill

Brilliant, thanks Bill! I'll have a go at finding one and if I can't I'll see if one of the UK Alpine supliers has a used one.

Cheers
Nick

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Odd. I just went to my local hardware store and bought a nut. I did it when I put on the wood steering wheel and eliminated the telescoping center, and added the wood wheel's flat horn button. I can still do the telescoping if I pop off the button and use a wrench. But, it's pretty much exactly where I want it and no one else really drives it.

However, I had no problem finding the nut.

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Odd. I just went to my local hardware store and bought a nut. I did it when I put on the wood steering wheel and eliminated the telescoping center, and added the wood wheel's flat horn button. I can still do the telescoping if I pop off the button and use a wrench. But, it's pretty much exactly where I want it and no one else really drives it.

However, I had no problem finding the nut.

Did you find out the size of the nut before you went to buy it, or did you take an existing one with you? There's a very good hardware store near me which I'm gonna try tomorrow.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, I think Jay if talking about the small nut that locks the telescoping part of the column. I've been talking about the large nut that holds the wheel on the shaft.

Bill