• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering Box knock

Hodee

Donation Time
When turning the steering wheel somewhere from full left to full right I hear a knock and a very slight "bump" in the system. Anybody have an idea what this is? I have a spare box but no experience in rebuilding one.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Have you jacked the front end up so the wheels are off the ground and turned it. My car did that and it was the center drag link.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Don't rightly know what it is. A guess would be something external from the steering box.

With the front suspended off the ground, Can you turn the wheels right or left by hand and feel or hear anything?

Try from both sides.... Maybe even have someone turn the steering ever so slowly at first then maybe speed up the turns from right or left while listening AND looking at the various joints and other moving components.

Then if nothing is discovered separate the various joints, one at a time and test each one for any abnormal drag/friction of movement.

Hodee

Donation Time
I have jacked up the front end while doing the test and still hear/feel it. Is the center drag link the horizontal bar near the fire wall? Toyanvil, was yours bent or bad bushings? Thanks as always.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Yes, it is the center drag link the horizontal bar near the fire wall. Mine had bad bushing.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
There are several remedies.... Replace your bushing in the crosslink with the replacements available from Sunbeam Specialties or Classic Sunbeam or purchase the ball joints type available form a supplier over in the UK, or purchase one of my crosslinks with the tie rod ends that I designed for the V6 Conversion.

Hodee

Donation Time
Thanks Dan, I went to the link for all your components and saw the cross link with tie rod ends. Could you explain the reason or benefits of the tie rod version over stock? I have the original 1725 engine, so no need for more clearance etc. Thanks.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
It should be easy to see if your center drag link bushing are bad, just have someone just rock the steering wheel left to right and watch the bushing. Also, have you greased your idler arm?