• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Starting your car

mikephillips

Donation Time
And since we're on this subject, when driving and shifting, foot on the pedal, depress and shift, release the pedal and remove foot. Never rest a foot on it or use it to hold yourself at a light or such. Knew a woman once who would do that, was replacing the clutch in her daily driver every year due to the wear caused by allowing it to not grip tightly.

Acollin

Donation Time
Would you recommend using ones parking brake/ emergency brake- or just brake pedal (foot off clutch pedal) to remain stationary when stopped on an uphill by a traffic light? No one wants a “stall” in that situation. I live in a hilly area ( foothills of the Cascade Mountains) — I confess I will often plan my driving to avoid hilly areas with taffic lights and stop signs.

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
Would you recommend using ones parking brake/ emergency brake- or just brake pedal (foot off clutch pedal) to remain stationary when stopped on an uphill by a traffic light?

It isn't all that hilly in Chicagoland, but when stopped on hills I do keep foot on brake.
When the hill is steep enough or traffic is close enough behind me that I am concerned about rolling backwards too far when starting, I do engage the parking brake (with my thumb on the button so it doesnt lock) just as I go to start, so I can manipulate the clutch and gas.. then easing off the parking brake just as the car starts moving.
The only reason is to prevent the car from rolling back on startup.. not for waiting at a light.

gary1725

Donation Time
It isn't all that hilly in Chicagoland, but when stopped on hills I do keep foot on brake.
When the hill is steep enough or traffic is close enough behind me that I am concerned about rolling backwards too far when starting, I do engage the parking brake (with my thumb on the button so it doesnt lock) just as I go to start, so I can manipulate the clutch and gas.. then easing off the parking brake just as the car starts moving.
The only reason is to prevent the car from rolling back on startup.. not for waiting at a light.
you perfectly described the "hill start" procedure taught in the UK (or at least as it was many years ago) oh and no, do not depress the clutch when starting the Alpine, like everyone else has said throughout - you are pushing the flywheel and hence whole crank forward against the thrust bearings via the clutch release bearing, far less resistance for the starter to just spin in neutral.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I've learned over the near 50 years of driving with a stick to start lightly letting the clutch out while moving the other foot to the gas from the brake. Hill or flat, it's become second nature. And I saw once that while starting with the car in neutral and foot off the clutch was a bit harder in the starter, it was easier on the clutch components and a starter is easier and cheaper to replace than a prematurely worn clutch. Although I've never had either wear out before I've either sold the car or torn it down for rebuild.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
What decade were you born? Quite a cross section these days
Mid 70's. I fell in love with Sunbeams when I was five or six and saw a white one parked at Jerry's in Oakland, Ca. on a Saturday morning. My dad was a big Ford guy back then but it's my uncle, who is a passionate Nash enthusiast, who inspires my love for this stuff. The stuff he worked on was old and to me really cool and unique, even today. The moment I saw that Sunbeam I knew that was it and nothing would deter me.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Mid 70's. I fell in love with Sunbeams when I was five or six and saw a white one parked at Jerry's in Oakland, Ca. on a Saturday morning. My dad was a big Ford guy back then but it's my uncle, who is a passionate Nash enthusiast, who inspires my love for this stuff. The stuff he worked on was old and to me really cool and unique, even today. The moment I saw that Sunbeam I knew that was it and nothing would deter me.
Ah... When you wrote about not growing up when this was comon I thought you meant the 90s...
I'm a late 70s but manual was still very common in my neck of the woods (concrete)... Autos were always a couple grand more .. so first cars tended to be manual....and for guys.. we mostly got manuals as autos were for the fairer demographic... By the mid 2000s autos were probably more popular for beginner drivers.