• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Starting my 66

empireweld

Donation Time
I have started disassembly of my 66 alpine.
I picked up a zetec 2.0l from a wrecked 2002 focus on half price weekend at the local pick a part.

I have a few questions for the group.

What is the shelf area behind the seats called?

Are there any domestic sources for floor pans?

Are there any pitfalls to a zetec swap?

Thanks
Doug Walker
Peoples Republic of California

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Biggest, upfront problem with the Zetec is transmission selection. There are no domestic sources of a transmission that will bolt up, other than Pinto 2.0 four speeds. What do you plan to use?

Bill

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Ive allways refered to that place as a parcel shelf, but you will see it most often listed here as " back seat" even tho' theres no foot room.
My floorboards looked pretty solid untill I tested the 'surface rust' a little. Ended up looking like yours.
I dont think floorpans are domesticaly made but they are available through someone on this site. Sure they will respond to you.
Welcome Doug.

mferris

Donation Time
Regarding floorpans - if only I could have been so lucky -
http://bit.ly/LW1bL7 - A screwdriver found 4 really well executed fiberglassed floorpans.

I've elected to use a sheet of 4'x8' 18ga and a homemade metal brake rather than buying some premade pans. I doubt that something purchased would have saved me much work as I have irregular holds and other rusted parts.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
God I hate rust. It seems to never end. You start working on a tailight, before your done, your working on a headlight.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I've elected to use a sheet of 4'x8' 18ga and a homemade metal brake rather than buying some premade pans.

Mike: One thing to be aware of with homemade floors is the fact that the Alpine floorpan is part of the structural integrity of the car and flat sheet metal is not supposed to be strong enough.

I have just told you all I know about this topic, but there have been forum discussions before on this. "Before" may have been on one of the previous versions of the forum, so hopefully someone else with more knowledge will weigh in.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Floor

We made a simple two piece die to press the ribs in the sheet metal.,
I suppose that rolling beads would acheive the same thing!

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
This post was made back in Feb., with some info on new panels.

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showpost.php?p=118769&postcount=2

There was some controversy in the recent past regarding panels and their manufacture, sale, and photo technique.

Let's hope the discussion here, if any, sticks to verifiable facts, and is free of conduct that is counter to the bylaws of the club. (Those bylaws exist to keep the peace and provide an exit path for deserving folk...) I'm just sayin'...

(The above remarks are not in reference to anything in this thread above... All is good!!)

Also, when searching the site, the word "pan" is too short (like oil, car, gas, etc.) So you can use Google site search for better results.

Good luck!

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
When I lived in northern Arizona in the seventies the town dump always had a few pickup beds lying around, my Dodge p/up bed has ribs very much like the floor ribs in the sunbeam. Shouldnt be too much trouble to find a scrap bed lying behind a bodyshop, right? Not so! It seems that enviromental regulations require disposing of scrap instantly, or at least pretty quick!
Since my car will never be "origonal" I dont need reproduction pans but I havent ruled that out yet.

mferris

Donation Time
While I do not have an efficient way of creating ribs in the pans I'm making, I am welding the 18ga (which seems thicker than the originals) everywhere possible top and bottom and planning on putting in spanning reinforcement if there is any flex anywhere.

Regardless, they *have* to be better than the fiberglass covered holes they are replacing!

empireweld

Donation Time
Well I've been looking for a t9 and having no luck, so I found a T5 out of turbocharged tbird. I got a zetec bellhousing from an auto and pulled all dimensions. I cut up the bellhousing so I can make an adapter to do the mockup. I think I will cast a complete new bellhousing after I get the motor mounted and the body done. I have the cad for the bellhousing pattern if anyone is interested.

Here is a couple pics of the bellhousing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8081559@N08/7565555968/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8081559@N08/7565554882/in/photostream/
photostream

Attachments

• zetecbellsmall.gif
    zetecbellsmall.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 6

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Well I've been looking for a t9 and having no luck, so I found a T5 out of turbocharged tbird. I got a zetec bellhousing from an auto and pulled all dimensions. I cut up the bellhousing so I can make an adapter to do the mockup. I think I will cast a complete new bellhousing after I get the motor mounted and the body done. I have the cad for the bellhousing pattern if anyone is interested.

Here is a couple pics of the bellhousing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8081559@N08/7565555968/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8081559@N08/7565554882/in/photostream/
photostream

Dont be looking for a T9, thats not what you want.
The correct transmission is a ford "type 9", application was a 84 to 87 merkur XR4ti (88 and up used a T5). They also had them in similar year Merkur scorpios with the 2.9, but these are truly hens teeth.

The T9 was a 4 speed transmission from borg warner that preceded the T10 toploader in the late 50s.
The ford type 9, AKA type N is a 5 speed gearbox based on the cortina/pinto light duty single rail 4 speed.
The merkur vehicles above are the ONLY sources of type 9 transmissions that were not specially imported to the US.
Ford BTW used a variant of the type 9 in the 1979 and 1980 turbo fox mustangs, but these are also hens teeth.

empireweld

Donation Time
I've been searching for a type 9 out of a merkur but they are kinda rare here. The t5's are easy, the one I got cost $200.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I've been searching for a type 9 out of a merkur but they are kinda rare here. The t5's are easy, the one I got cost $200.

The much smaller type 9 is rumored to require fewer or no tunnel mods.
The type in a common take out for merkur owners that want to up the boost level.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Type 9 used in the Merkur uses the Lima bolt pattern and starter location. Other than width, it has the same fitment issues as the Mustang T5.

Bill