• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spring rate

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
OK I know the lengths of both springs and the spring rate of the HD Tiger front spring.Anyone know off hand the spring rate of the stock Tiger front spring?

O

odl21

is this something you can easily measure with a known weight?

i'd be interested to find out how mine differ from stock.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
is this something you can easily measure with a known weight?

This I don't know but I'm sure a spring maker knows.The manual shows laden weight.
I needed to be sure as I need to raise my front end on the 62 a good 1.5 inches.I will be seeing what can be done for springs.
Some have recommended stretching the springs.??????Others a custom made spring.
I do think I will have them made to suit.
Changing will be a winter job.I will just have to watch that the spoiler will clear some of the bigger speed bumps till then.

O

odl21

is the value perhaps the pounds required for one inch of initial compression?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
is the value perhaps the pounds required for one inch of initial compression?

Mostly yes for a single rate spring ( variable rate springs have different rates at different compressions ). Think in terms of force instead of weight. This would give a rate of compression as related to the force applied to compress the spring for a given amount. Also, remember the spring is a potential mechanical energy storage device which absorbs and stores an equal amount of energy as is applied to compress it and does so for as long as it is compressed.

compressing force
-------------------------------------
( free length ) - ( compressed length ) = force per unit length or pounds per inch

O

odl21

weight _is_ a force, but yes, you are right to correct me in that i said 'pounds' implying mass rather than weight. but lets assume we're all experiencing gravity at around 10m/s^2...

thats useful to know - thanks.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
weight _is_ a force, but yes, you are right to correct me in that i said 'pounds' implying mass rather than weight. but lets assume we're all experiencing gravity at around 10m/s^2...

thats useful to know - thanks.

Not trying to correct as much as making it easier to write.

If you liked that I will try for this one.

K = [ W(4) * G ] / [8 * N * D(3)]

> K = stiffness of spring in pounds per inch

> W = diameter of spring wire, in inches

> G = 12,000,000 for steel springs

> N = number of active coils ( number of free coils + 1/2 )

> D = diameter of the coil measured to center of wire, in inches

........ easy way to find "D" is measure outside diameter and then subtract wire diameter

........ try to ensure "D" and "W" are as accurate as possible as a small error will result in a large error in the calculated spring rate

HTH and YMMV,

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Regarding coil springs
For my 62 I do need 1.5 inches more clearance.We have some good speed bumps around here so.
Finally I'm getting near to what I want. I was at the spring maker and we have decided on what should do the job.The springs will be a bit stronger than the stock tiger and 1.5 inches taller.I hope to have them next week and will need to find some time to change over.
I will not go to stretching the stock coils or use spacers although some have suggested that route.
Will let you know when I get it all finished.Oh yes I guess that will mean another alignment