• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spring Rate for SV Alpine Front Suspension

tigretr

Donation Time
Does anyone know what the spring rate is on SV front suspension? I am thinking about going to coil overs in all four corners and am looking for a starting point. I found the answer for the rears in a recently posted thread about link type suspension (also in my near future). Any help on the fronts would be appreciated.

Brian

bashby

Donation Time
I was informed that factory for the front was 210#/in. I am running 340#/in in the front and stock leafs (with anti-windup) on the rears on my S-V.
-Bill

tigretr

Donation Time
Great, thanks for the info. Are you two running coil overs, or just higher rate springs up front?

Brian

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
A few years back I bought out a friend's inventory and in that was a set of front springs from VB, part numbers 5-5098. They have an orange paint dot. They're id'd as Tiger. Anyone know their spring rate? I called and asked once but one there knows.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Springs

We're running 450# fronts on the V8 Alpine, (keeping in mind we have fabricated a complete front crossmember) however on the Tiger we had
we ran 450# springs and felt it could use more, also we're running 170#
rears on a 5 Link setup, and this is a coil over car.

bashby

Donation Time
Rootes Racer: When I bought my custom springs from Coil Spring Specialties they were specific when they stated 210#/in for an Alpine but, they could have parallelax'd the #'s. In addition I found corroborating numbers from a UK site which compared all of the springs between Series' as to rates, laden/unladen lengths and diameters.
Tigretr: I am running a higher rate up front and I reduced the ride height by 2".