• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Speedometer cable end not square with gearbox

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sure this helps! Thanks again!

I am surprised about the teeth count because on the internet I have seen counts of 5 and 7 teeth for the helicoil and for the Sunbeam Tiger I have seen a count of 5 teeth. I think you are referring to the other gear the gear that is stuck in the gearbox because this gear has originally 15 teeth for the Tiger MK I.

I understand now from you that normally the plastic driven gear is fastened to the cable and if so how is it fastened to the cable?

Do you have any idea if there are yellow parts in a normal standard Tiger differential?

I must say that you have teached me a lot of things and this forum is very helpful. On the UK-forum I did not get any answers in 2017 and neither this year. So I stick to this forum with my questions. Again my sincerly gratitude for all your help!

I'm happy to help you out!

If you look back at the image of the plastic driven gears I posted earlier, you can see what looks like a round peg on top of each one. Each one is hollow, with a square hole that receives the speedometer cable the tip. Which is how the motion of the gear is transferred to the cable - much the same way at the speedometer end works.

Also on the earlier image, written on the box are the available driven gears - the gear color and number of teeth marked.

pruyter

Donation Time
Thanks again!

1.But what is the function of the retainer clip (C-shape) and how is it working?

2. What is the number of the teeth of the helicoil gear on the output shaft of the gearbox (not the driven gear with the 15 or 16 teeth?

3. Has the original differential ( so without LSD) so called yellow parts in it?

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks again!

1.But what is the function of the retainer clip (C-shape) and how is it working?

2. What is the number of the teeth of the helicoil gear on the output shaft of the gearbox (not the driven gear with the 15 or 16 teeth?

3. Has the original differential ( so without LSD) so called yellow parts in it?
1) The "C" clip retains the plastic driven gear on the cable end.

2) The 15 or 16 tooth spiral gear is on the output shaft of the gearbox.

3) I don't think the diff has any parts affected by GL5, but I am not certain. Perhaps someone else on the forum know for sure?

pruyter

Donation Time
Thank you very much for all your effort to help me.
The only thing I am not agreeing with (sorry for that) is the teeth count on the spriral gear, so far I have seen a count of 5 or 7 teeth.
By accident I found a video on youtube which reveals a lot to me. The title of this video is "Mustang Speedometer Gear Selection and Installation". Although it regards a later type of Mustang it shows how the driven gear of 15 teeth is fastened to the cable and how the retainer clip is used. But it also produces to me the question: why is the plastic driven gear stucked in the gearbox of my Tiger, normally it should have come out together with the cable. What could be wrong there?

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
1) The "C" clip retains the plastic driven gear on the cable end.

2) The 15 or 16 tooth spiral gear is on the output shaft of the gearbox.

3) I don't think the diff has any parts affected by GL5, but I am not certain. Perhaps someone else on the forum know for sure?
Is it possible that the "C" clip is missing? Then the cable would pull out without the gear. Look at the David Kee web site for nice pictures of the helical gear for the output shaft. To get at it you would pull the output shaft cover, which should make getting out the speedo cable gear easier. You Tube of course can help.

pruyter

Donation Time
I think you are right in that the C-clip is missing. Maybe broken but then the question would be how has that happened and where are the broken parts now? Indeed I have seen the pictures of the helical gears but I wondered which one fits a TIger MK I. Some said it should be 7 teeth but I am not sure. I have seen on Youtube how to deal with fitting a new helical gear.
So thanks to you and some others on this forum I know now what to do. I have learned quite a lot in the last few days.
It is now time to get the job done!
Thanks again Pete for your patience with me!

Best regards,

Peter

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for posting that Husky drvr. Looks like you would use the green (6) or yellow (7) helical gear, depending on rear end, tire size, and cable gear.

hdar5702

Platinum Level Sponsor
Peter,I had a '66 mark 1A for 25 years and my speedometer/tach were very accurate plus/minus 2-3mph.I remember 50mph@2000rpm and 75mph@3000.I lost my car in hurricane Katrina but saved 'Tiger' parts.Not sure why I saved the gearbox...maybe for questions like yours.
I removed the tail shaft and took this picture.I count 6 green teeth.
Howard

Attachments

• IMG_1364.JPG
    IMG_1364.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1

pruyter

Donation Time
Hi hdar5702,

was your Tiger a standard Tiger with the original rear axle? I asked this because in the chart which husky drvr proved there is mentioned that a standard Tiger has 7 teeth while you show a gear with 6 teeth. Very interesting!
Thanks for posting!

Regards,

Peter

pruyter

Donation Time
Hi Howard,

My Tiger has also the 2.88 to 1 and when you have 6 green teeth with such an nearly exact result of precision regarding the speedometer then I don't understand why the chart shows 7 teeth. It is a shame that the Parts list shows only the teeth of the drive gear ( 15 for the MK I and 16 for the MK II) and no information regarding the drive gear. Well anyhow if I have to change the drive gear for a new one I will go for your option which is 6 teeth.

One more question: since you speedometer was very exact I wonder how many teeth the driven gear has. I know that original it was 15 teeth but this one is since many many years not available so that most Tiger-owners were forced to use the 16 teeth gear. So I am very curious to know how many teeth this gear had in your Tiger.

I am very sorry to read that you have lost your Tiger in that Hurricane that must have been very painfull. Did you replace your Tiger for something else?
And of course thanks a lot that you have taken the trouble to dismantle the gearbox in order to show me the driven gear. I must say: the people on this forum are very helpfull and that is not always the case.

Regards Peter

Last edited:

hdar5702

Platinum Level Sponsor
Peter,
I removed the gear this evening looking for a part no. or marking, all I found was 'SBP-1'.I did not save my speedo cable or cable gear.I do remember changing the cable gear long ago but I don't remember what gear I used. You need to factor in your tire size also.I had 13"PanaSports x6" and used 185/70 tires(Pirelli P6 ('80's and '90's) and GoodYear Wingfoot later).
Yes, losing my Tiger affected me but I had greater priorities...like our house and everything in it.
So 2 years ago I found a beautiful '67 Alpine from a member on this forum(it's the same color as my Tiger).
Good Luck with your speedo problems.
H

Attachments

• IMG_1373.JPG
    IMG_1373.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

pruyter

Donation Time
Thanks again Howard I will take your advice. I run 14 inch minlites and 185/60 tyres and the tyres are Dunlop Sport. I will do the calculations.
Yes I can imagine the horror of this Hurricane in relations to your house and belongings. Luckily this kind of storms don't exist overhere.
I had an Alpine before and my brother owns one on which I have done a lot of repairs, overhauling the complete engine was of them.
Thanks for your help and I will start soon with the speedometer job.