• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spark plug questions

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm running the Autolite XP63s also - for about a year now. $4.55 each from Rockauto Scotty. Can't say I noticed a difference from the regular Champions. I haven't pulled them out and looked at them since installing them.
Thanks for the heads up!

I've fouled up a good handful of different plugs and haven't noticed the Irridiums to be anymore susceptible to fouling any faster than the others (Copper, Plat, Dual Plat, etc.) but hell, maybe it could. I run them because I need the resistor for my electronic points. I'd love to see a comparison between the different types on ours or that period engines.

What are other folks using who have electronic points/Pertronix/whateverhaveyou?

Last edited:

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
Unrelated but still about spark plugs. The WSM for my S1 stated the original plug was a Champion N5. I recently found an original set and was wondering if they will still work well with the modern fuels. Would like to keep it as original as possible. Thanks, Dave

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
Unrelated but still about spark plugs. The WSM for my S1 stated the original plug was a Champion N5. I recently found an original set and was wondering if they will still work well with the modern fuels. Would like to keep it as original as possible. Thanks, Dave

I imagine so. The new resistor plugs were to prevent noise in AM car radios, and as for fuel, hydrocarbons are hydrocarbons.....IMO

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I recently changed plugs in a V6.

Bought the usual Autolite plugs.

Got 3, ....count them! 3 DIFFERENT looking Autolite plugs, ALL the same PN...

These included DIFFERENT HEAT Ranges!!!!!!

Brought them back and got 6 of the Same LOOKing Autolites.

...at least they were all the same heat range, as near as I could tell....

BUYER BE Ware(y)

DW

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I bought 4 Bosch plugs last week. They came in two pairs, one pair had two light blue rings on, one pair had two dark grey rings on. The boxes were different but the main numbers stamped in were the same, all were WR6DC. One pair had a little tiny serial number of 954 stamped in, the other pair had two different numbers stamped in. The shop said that they were a matched pair but Bosch had changed the packaging.
They were not the same. Two got very sooty very quickly, two didn't.
Tim R

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I almost hate to write this, for fear of being thought of as a horribly negligent mechanic, but my 2004 Toyota Sienna now has over 250,000 miles, still running on the original spark plugs.

On that car it’s such an ungodly mess to change them that I thought, “what the heck, I’ll let them run until I get misfires or the mileage drops.” Neither has ever happened, so they have remained in service all these years. Still gets about 27 mpg on the highway, and still pulls my boat trailers!