• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sourcing a T5

Mark T

Donation Time
The best laid plans....

The plan was to enjoy the new car ('64 Alpine with 2.8 and C4 automatic) this summer, drive the 1200 mile round trip to Invasion and maybe look at installing a T5 this winter. Unfortunately the V6 has developed a 'death rattle' :mad: so it's engine rebuild time! Makes sense to change the tranny at the same time so...

What is the best source for a T5?
Is it larger than the C4 (will the tunnel have to be widened)?
What else will I need?

Thanks!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mark,

I thought you already had a T5 in it. Anyway, I can't remember if the tunnel had to be opened up to fit the C4, but if it hasn't, you'll need to do that. It isn't hard to do, just that you need to get dirty a bit.

I would ask Jim Stone to help you find a 1996 or later T5, from a Mustang with the 3.8 V6. He is a whiz at finding stuff on the net. I wish I knew how to do that.

Jose :)

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks Jose! It seems to me that you suggest the bell housing from a '74 - '78 Mustang II with the V6 and 4 speed manual tranny. Is that correct?

britbeam

Donation Time
T5

Mark here is one source for you. Ebay#160134790001
Buy it now price is $850.00 Rebuilt/Dyno tested /Full waranty.
I know nothing about these guys just saw it on ebay.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I would ask Jim Stone to help you find a 1996 or later T5, from a Mustang with the 3.8 V6. He is a whiz at finding stuff on the net. I wish I knew how to do that.

There was nothing magic about how I found mine. I think I just got lucky. Here's what I posted last year about it:
I bought my T5 about a year ago on eBay for about $235, plus $70 to have it delivered to a local pick-up station (more on that in a second). It was listed as being from a 2002 Mustang with 35,000 miles. I ended up having it checked out by a Ford drive train mechanic, and he confirmed that it was exactly as listed and in excellent condition.

The seller was a automotive recycling company called LKQ. I did a little research on LKQ. They are a huge, publicly traded company, buying up junk yards all over the county (not that they like to call them that; they are "automotive recyclers"). They are a very interesting company (http://www.lkqcorp.com/home/home.asp). They go by "lkq-triplettasap" on eBay.

I have no financial interest in the company, although I wish I did. I thought about buying their stock after my experience, but never did. I would have doubled my money if I'd done it.
______________________________​

It doesn't look like they have any currently listed on eBay, but it wouldn't hurt to contact them if they a location within driving distance to you.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Thanks Jose! It seems to me that you suggest the bell housing from a '74 - '78 Mustang II with the V6 and 4 speed manual tranny. Is that correct?
If you want a bolt on T5 transmission conversion, it is the only choice. Technically, it isn't just a bolt in, but the mods that have to be done are so minor, that they can be done easily.

Mark T

Donation Time
Mark here is one source for you. Ebay#160134790001
Buy it now price is $850.00 Rebuilt/Dyno tested /Full waranty.
I know nothing about these guys just saw it on ebay.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Thanks Dwain! Probably worth the money but I'm going to check Jim's source to see if I might get one a little cheaper.

Mark T

Donation Time
It doesn't look like they have any currently listed on eBay, but it wouldn't hurt to contact them if they a location within driving distance to you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jim! I'll do that. Maybe they have locations in Canada!

Mark T

Donation Time
If you want a bolt on T5 transmission conversion, it is the only choice. Technically, it isn't just a bolt in, but the mods that have to be done are so minor, that they can be done easily.

Thanks Jose! Do you know if there are any posts that deal with the auto to manual switch?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Thanks Jose! Do you know if there are any posts that deal with the auto to manual switch?
Not really. It shouldn't be too hard, since the T5 will bolt up the the Mustang II bellhousing. Just remove the auto, tourque converter and flex plate. Add a flywheel, clutch, throw out bearing, pressure plate from a Mustang II, and a hydraulic pull slave cylinder. You will need to get a drive shaft from a 1983-1986 Thunderbird, with the 3.8 V6 and automatic transmission, to cut to fit your Alpine.

The shifter will be a bit hard to get, unless you don't mind one that is made for the Ranger, and is a bit longer than some guys like. I saw one of the conversions done by one of my customers, and the shifter didn't look too long to me, but that would be a personal thing.

You will need to modify your transmission mount, or use one of ours, that is when we get up and running again. The transmission mount should be for a 1974 Mustang II. If you go with another mount, you might have the transmission too high and the driveshaft could hit the tunnel, every time you hit a bump.

That pretty much wraps it up. I think you will enjoy your Alpine a whole lot more with the T5 five speed.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not really. It shouldn't be too hard, since the T5 will bolt up the the Mustang II bellhousing. Just remove the auto, tourque converter and flex plate. Add a flywheel, clutch, throw out bearing, pressure plate from a Mustang II, and a hydraulic pull slave cylinder. You will need to get a drive shaft from a 1983-1986 Thunderbird, with the 3.8 V6 and automatic transmission, to cut to fit your Alpine.

Don't forget the trans input shaft pilot bearing in the rear of the crank. Most auto trans engines will not have one installed.;)

Mark T

Donation Time
You will need to get a drive shaft from a 1983-1986 Thunderbird, with the 3.8 V6 and automatic transmission, to cut to fit your Alpine.

The shifter will be a bit hard to get, unless you don't mind one that is made for the Ranger, and is a bit longer than some guys like. I saw one of the conversions done by one of my customers, and the shifter didn't look too long to me, but that would be a personal thing.

Hi Jose! I'm searching for the driveshaft and the website that I'm using lists 2 driveshafts for '86 T-Birds with the V6 automatic, with or without 3.45 axle ratio. Which one should I buy? Also, what are the shifter options besides the Ranger one? Thanks!

Mark T

Donation Time
Also, when I search the one without the 3.45 axle ratio it also shows 1987 Cougar driveshafts as being a match. I'm using car-part.com to do the searching (Thanks Sam for suggesting the site!!!).

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mark,

Since what you want is the wsmallest diameter shaft, I would look to see which one was the smallest and get that one. The front yoke will be the same, which is what you need to make it work with the T5.

The Cougar was a clone of the T-Bird, except just a bit more gussied up, so most driveline parts were the same.

Since I haven't had to look for parts folr the automatic conversion, so just can report what my customers have told me about. If you send me an e-mail, I will send you the contact info for my customer that has used the Ranger shifter, and I'm sure that he would be happy to send you some pictures of it, so you can see if you think it is too long for your tastes.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Using a Ranger shifter makes me smile. I took the shifter off my Ranger trans and used a homemade one!

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Thanks Jose!

ps. Remember the 'Good Old Days' when Cougars were Mustang clones!
Yes. I remember the 1967 Cougar XR7, with the 427. I would give my eye teeth to own one. I bought a brand new 1967 Mustang GT, fast back, with the hot 390. I bought that, because I couldn't afford the Cougar, but I did love the Mustang too.

I have to add, that the Ranger shifter I was referring to, is an after market one. By Holley I believe.

Mod_Squad!

Bronze Level Sponsor
I used a Pro 5.0 shifter. From all I've read they are supposed top be good. I never used the stoick setup so I can't say for sure. I ended up shortening the actual shifter arm as well. Mine is pretty stiff which I'm used to. It has a very short throw. They have them in all kinds of price ranges on Ebay.
Here's an example,(no relation and all the usual disclaimer stuff)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PRO-...6QQihZ015QQcategoryZ33736QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Have Fun,
Bryan
:)