• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sound Deadening Material

beijing_ken

Donation Time
Hi All,

I was wondering what people are using for sound deadening material ?

I have seen a lot of photos of more modern materials that look pretty space age and that may work on the inside of the door skins and the interior door panels, but I think I would prefer more traditional material for the floor and trunk ~ any suggestions or experiences ?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi All,

I was wondering what people are using for sound deadening material ?

I have seen a lot of photos of more modern materials that look pretty space age and that may work on the inside of the door skins and the interior door panels, but I think I would prefer more traditional material for the floor and trunk ~ any suggestions or experiences ?

Thanks in advance,

Ken
I have used a Canadian product - B-Quiet - in the last four cars I have resurrected. It is similar to Dynamat but more cost effective for those of us with limited funds. The last time I purchased some the exchange rate was favorable for US buyers so that was also an incentive. I have used it on floors, trunks, doors, hardtops - all places where its use will improve sound deadening and cockpit temperature comfort. P
https://www.b-quiet.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxJDC0Jjn2gIVjONkCh1PCQETEAAYASAAEgKJQfD_BwE

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I used Fatmat. Very similar to Dynamat, but as Paul said, more cost effective. It has been on the car ten years and 96,000 miles with zero problems. I don't like traditional materials because they tend to hold water.

Bill

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you use something other than black sound deadener, you can spray the visible parts with rubberized undercoating. Depending on which one you use
it will make your sound deadening material invisible when the carpet is on top of it. I've used this approach on the last three Alpines I've
restored and it really works well!
Cheers!
Steve

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
One of the best places to use sound deadening is on the long lock bar inside the door. If you put self adhesive sound deadening rubber behind the bar it will completely change the sound that the door makes as you close it. We also put different thicknesses of self adhesive sound deadener inside the door against the outer skin. The different thicknesses absorb different frequencies of sound and make it shut with a subtle click.
We actually use it all over the car as it makes it so
much nicer to live with.
Tim R

P1080122.jpg P1080190.jpg P1080288.jpg

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Tim: why do you have multiple rectangles of the deadener in the hardtop, rather than completely covering it?

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I was running out of material! In my opinion there is an advantage to using different thicknesses and density of sound deadener on a panel but you are always better to completely cover the area rather than just put it on in patches as I have here.

Originally most of the manufacturers used to just put patches on whole panels. I think I am correct in saying that the Alpine (at least the later ones) had a rectangular panel about 18" x 12" stuck in the centre of the door skin. It was a cross hatched rubberised material. I can't see it listed in the Parts Book but I have found identical stuff in too many Alpines for it to be a coincidence.

Tim R

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Originally most of the manufacturers used to just put patches on whole panels. I think I am correct in saying that the Alpine (at least the later ones) had a rectangular panel about 18" x 12" stuck in the centre of the door skin. It was a cross hatched rubberised material. I can't see it listed in the Parts Book but I have found identical stuff in too many Alpines for it to be a coincidence.
I usually find that , and whatever the DPO put in there, rolled up and on the bottom of the floor.
Cheers!
Steve

Hodee

Donation Time
I used Klimat. Very similar to Dynamat but less expensive. Very easy to work with and comes in manageable sized pieces. A good solid metal "roller" completes the job nicely. Still need to do the doors and trunk but pleased thus far.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Has anyone replaced the OEM headliner with a glue-in material? Many Street Rod guys are now using tweed, cloth and mixing cloth/vinyl in interiors. The custom guys glue dense foam to the roof then shape it to a custom design, then install (glue) the material directly to the foam. The foam and cloth cut down on sound and headroom is gained.

Billm

Gold Level Sponsor
I am going to use automotive Thinsulate on the underside of my hardtop along with a piece of BoomMat before I install the headliner. The Thinsulate is glued in with 3M 90 spray glue. I have used the Thinsulate to insulate my Ford Transit roof and side panels. The van is cooler and quieter. The info I have read on the sound deadening, says that you only need 25% coverage to deaden the resonance of the sheet metal. When I redid my door window channels and cranks, I put a piece of Boom mat in and strips behind the door opening arm. The door sounds much better than before with the spray in ashphalt. I will probably cover the entire floor in order to keep some of the heat out. I like the idea of gluing some cloth or vinyl to some foam on the under side of the hardtop.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I first used Dynamat and liked what it did to deaden and reduce the heat, thought it was expensive so I later tried the stuff Eastman puts out similar to the Dynamat.... Made a huge mistake, because if melts and the tar will run like honey when it gets hot... Tried to cover it with Lizard Skin but it filters thru and the goo still runs. Now I am trying to replace it a little at a time especially in places I do not want it to interfere with my carpet, etc., Just beware!