• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sometimes a clone is better than the real thing!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, at least the guy didn't spend much time trying to fake a real Tiger... it's easy to tell it's just a SV with a V8, and no attempt was made to hide the fact. I give him credit for that.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The funny thing is we all know the stock tigers shortcomings, compromised steering, brakes, cooling and various other small issues.

It all adds to the charecter of the car and as we know there are many kits available to upgrade the various parts to resolve the issues, even whole new front cross members, power steering etc to make them have more modern capabilities.

Its quite easy to improve on the tiger concept with a alpine V8, alloy block motor, 5 speed, better brakes, better steering, different seats, air-con, list can go on and on... joel's alpine V8 would be a good example from a performance/handling stance..

I guess the only thing i can say for this car is.. apart from the auto.. where are all he improvements that make the claim "In the collector car world, sometimes a clone is better than the real thing!"?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I guess the only thing i can say for this car is.. apart from the auto.. where are all he improvements that make the claim "In the collector car world, sometimes a clone is better than the real thing!"?

Once again I will point out that there is no relationship between the car and the "clone" statement.
Just a carefully worded comment to prevent the obvious fallout of attempting to sell a "tiger".

Note the location, I doubt Norman Miller would prevent such an occurrence so close to home.

Parting shot though, personally I think that an alger could in fact be better than a tiger at least from the standpoint that one could drive the hell out of it without fear of the eventuality of a traffic loss or the tin worm.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Once again I will point out that there is no relationship between the car and the "clone" statement.
Just a carefully worded comment to prevent the obvious fallout of attempting to sell a "tiger".

Note the location, I doubt Norman Miller would prevent such an occurrence so close to home.

Parting shot though, personally I think that an alger could in fact be better than a tiger at least from the standpoint that one could drive the hell out of it without fear of the eventuality of a traffic loss or the tin worm.

Jarrid,

Just to make sure i understand you.. you are saying the seller is not saying the car is an alger?.. i read the auction as he is saying that its not a legit tiger but a alpine V8.

As for an alpine V8 being better than a tiger.. i couldnt agree more.. without the converns of cutting up a tiger you could bascially eliminate all the tiger shortcomings and really take the car to another leel in performance, handling and comfort.

65beam

Donation Time
clone

it probably doesn't have the cracked rear spring front mounts or the broken panhard rod mounts or the cracked and broken front crossmember or the rusted exhaust cut outs or all the typical damage with bodged repairs that you find under the paint of most tigers when you dip the body. they did stand the spare tire up and that gives better trunk space. that makes this car better. and if you read the vin # you will find it to be an alpine number.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Jarrid,

Just to make sure i understand you.. you are saying the seller is not saying the car is an alger?.. i read the auction as he is saying that its not a legit tiger but a alpine V8.

I'm just rattling your cage.:D

The seller alludes to it being a clone, just doesnt say it outright.
Odd wording in relation to the clone revelation, nothing more, nothing less.

To the tiger/alpine in the know, its obviously an alpine based on easily identifiable clues, the serial number, the allusion to "clone" and the alpine/tiger text in the description not to mention the auto trans.

To be clear the auction doesnt look the slightest bit shady to me, as there is no direct misrepresentation and as a double plus good, the seller either had no reserve or a super low one.

This car is obviously going to sell and no one can argue it isnt a square deal.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I do wonder where the seats are from, though. Any idea?

There was a early alpine that we discussed within the last 6ish months down under. The car had seats that looked very similar to those.. cant remember if they were some type of chev coupes seats or something of that ilk.. but think someone worked out what they were.

Maybe do a search through the archive of for sale.

agmason

Donation Time
"In the collector car world, sometimes a clone is better than the real thing!"

The only time that could ever be true is if the "original" is so expensive to buy that you are afraid to drive it. Then a so called "tribute" car may be the only way to drive an expensive collector car without risking the original car. Say you happen to own one of the Shelby Daytona coupes but the rareity and expense to buy make it prohibitive to drive, but you are itching to cruise around in it. Then your only choice is to buy a clone, maybe a Superformance Shelby Daytona which costs a whole lot less.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Rich V

My offer still stands. If you can find a way to Sioux Falls I have a very nice Alpine V8 that you can drive to (and during) the Invasion!:D