• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Solved my air cleaner dilemma

dmich2

Donation Time
Since I purchased Sweet Pea I've been searching for a better air cleaner, but was limited as to size because of clearance under the hood. The only thing I could seem to get to fit was a 6 inch round chrome set-up w/a paper filter. Numerous people, Jose for one, told me I was really limiting air flow, but again, for some reason nothing worked. Well last week I went to the locate Advance Auto and as luck would have it I got one of the young, greasy fingernail, I love old hot-rod, counter helpers and off we went to resolve the air cleaner issue. Matt, his name, finally fixed me up with a K&N set-up that's SWEET :D . It consists of the following in the picture below from right to left, a 'drop down' base plate (lowers the whole assembly at least 1 1/2"), a 2 1/2" high by 14" roundfilter and 14" top called a K&N Xtreme filter which is a filter itself.
sunbeamkn002.jpg

The base plate rests on the dizzy, but with the 90 degree nipples it's fine. I immediately gained about 200 more RPMs with the new set-up at idle, which I actually needed as the old one was too small and getting dirty. She runs a lot smoother and I love the look. (below)
sunbeamkn001.jpg

Now I'll tell you it ain't cheap, probably around 180.00-200.00 retail I think, but for some reason Matt also thought it was expensive and gave me a break, around 2/3 the list, but to me it was worth it. The parts numbers are: base plate 853545, Xtreme filter 661401 and the round filter E1650. They are suppose to last forever with periodic cleaning and re-juicing. We'll see. Here's their site http://knfilters.com/

Just one Dark-Sider's experience that I wanted to share.

Happy Memorial day folks.

Dennis

dmich2

Donation Time
OOOPS.:eek: The other right. It should read "from left to right, instead of right to left."

Dennis

britbeam

Donation Time
Thanks Dennis for sharing the part numbers. I will have to give this one some thought. The only thing I think would be better is a double snout sucking cold air from outside the engine compartment. Maybe with this baseplate I can build towards that. I know some Ford mustangs had a double snout just not sure of the year.
Dwain V6 Krazy

dmich2

Donation Time
I agree Dwain. After I got this new set-up I was looking at K&N's site and they sell a two nozzle pelnum that needs 2 1/2" clearance above carb flange. :D http://knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=85-8927

This could be just the ticket. If someone tries it let us know. Some hoses running to the horn holes and two coned filters.....yeah baby!!! I've forked out too much cash right now to investigate it.

Don't you have that set-up that looks like a hammerhead sharks head....:eek:

Dennis

tfctpa

Donation Time
Thank you for the info, I've been struggling with my 2.8 breathing also.

BTW nice looking compartment.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jim E. has a picture of the dual snorkel K&N bonnet, on one of my customer's Alpine. The owner also put two insulated hoses going through the horn holes on it. He then put two K&N cone filters on the ends of the hoses. I'm not crazy about the silver insulation that the hoses have on them, but other than that, it looks good.

Jim, if you can find the picture, would you post it again?

Jose :)

britbeam

Donation Time
I agree Dwain. After I got this new set-up I was looking at K&N's site and they sell a two nozzle pelnum that needs 2 1/2" clearance above carb flange. :D http://knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=85-8927

This could be just the ticket. If someone tries it let us know. Some hoses running to the horn holes and two coned filters.....yeah baby!!! I've forked out too much cash right now to investigate it.

Don't you have that set-up that looks like a hammerhead sharks head....:eek:

Dennis

No Dennis I have a 9 inch round filter. I do like that Hammer head but does it clear the Hood(Bonnet)? The biggest asset to this setup is the Looks cool factor. Im sure it works as well as mine but it would still be suckin hot air.
Dwain V6 Krazy

dmich2

Donation Time
Yes it clears, that was the biggest reason I went with it. I agree, it still gets all the hot air. A cold air would be what I'd prefer.

Dennis

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Dwain,

The hammer head filter would fit your Alpine, because Bill Johnson used one of our kits to mount his engine too. Your engine hight should be the same as his. I like the look, but the price...

britbeam

Donation Time
Dwain,

The hammer head filter would fit your Alpine, because Bill Johnson used one of our kits to mount his engine too. Your engine hight should be the same as his. I like the look, but the price...

Jose check this out. Will this air cleaner work on our 4bl V6 setup. Ebay # 1700115209892. This was the dual snorkel for the 79 thru 85 mustang with 4 Bl. I know it looks stock but will it work.
Thanks
Dwain V6 Krazy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Dwain,

I sent you an e-mail, but I'll answer here. That air filter housing is too big for your engine. I doubt that it would fit under the hood, because it is so wide and the Alpine hood slopes down on the sides. If you could even get it to fit, it would look wierd, because it is as wide as the engine.

britbeam

Donation Time
Hi Dwain,

I sent you an e-mail, but I'll answer here. That air filter housing is too big for your engine. I doubt that it would fit under the hood, because it is so wide and the Alpine hood slopes down on the sides. If you could even get it to fit, it would look wierd, because it is as wide as the engine.

Ok thanks just had to ask. Just got back from a run in the Alpine brakes are working great since the brake mod.All I need is an excuse to take a ride in the Alpine even if it was Home Depot.
Dwain

seriesvince

Donation Time
Does anyone have a part # for a chrome air cleaner that clears the hood and the dizzy? The 14 inch "drop base" model i picked up seems to drop too much and it hits the dizzy before the carb base.

Thanks... Vince

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Vince,

You have a simple correction that needs to be made. You can get thicker gaskets for the filter and it will lift it to where it clears the distributor. There are some that are about 1/8" thick and you can try with just one, then if it needs to go higher, add another one on top of the original, until it clears the distributor.

Jose

Does anyone have a part # for a chrome air cleaner that clears the hood and the dizzy? The 14 inch "drop base" model i picked up seems to drop too much and it hits the dizzy before the carb base.

Thanks... Vince