• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Soft top to windscreen weatherstrip

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Anyone with a/the trick on reinstalling this strip ? Does it go on dry, or should it be glued in the channel ? It looks simple, but, this ones not very cooperative. Don't want to use an umbrella in the car, but it looks like there's a chance of rain this week-end for the SOS, we've never had this car in the rain, surely it's got a leak or two
Thanks again for any and all input.
Tom j

nickraymond

Donation Time
this is something I need to address as well, I'm not sure how they were on originally, but mine now on with a bit of evostick, which I should add. is not holding it very well, (always needs a bit of fiddling when i put the hood up and down)

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
I also noticed that the one I removed had a cloth or fabric backer on the part that was in the channel, I don't know if that made it stiffer or the old one was just hard and brittle. At any rate as challenging as getting this to stay in the "groove" I'm not not sure adding glue is a wise thing to do, I really don't want adhesive everywhere, then again I don't want it to come out when the top is stowed.
Oh well back at it.

Tom j

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
After finally getting the seal into the channel(and having it stay) it worked for about two times putting the top up (at SOS) we were putting the top up to leave and much to my dismay when we pulled the top from the boot the weather strip had mostly come off the channel:mad: so, contact cement the answer? Any ideas ?

Tom j

beamS3

Donation Time
Try 1/2" two sided transfer tape (as used for car trim). Tape to channel first. 2 inch strips placed 4" apart seems to work. Run screwdriver flat along both sides of channel to open channel lip sufficient to hold weatherstripping. Take off tape backing progressively as you go. Insert first lip of molding into channel then using a stiff blunt edge push in second lip until it engages channel. (Tool can be made from discarded CD)

Bob

napa 1

Donation Time
I did use a really good weatherstip adhesive when I installed mine and it has held nicely. It's soooooo tough to squeeze the rubber into that little groove, that I didn't want to have to do it twice. The glue can be a bit messy, but it seems to be holding.

B

Bill Harben

I just installed my weatherstrip and new top and so far it is holding up very well. I simply used a generic spray-on upholstery adhesive with the spray tip set at the smallest setting. One long squirt through the whole channel, then let it set till tacky. As usual, prying the rubber into the channel was a bear. I did try a small section first and attempted to pull it out after it was glued and it stuck pretty well. No normal use is going to pull that strip out.

Keep the rain out.

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the ideas, I used what was on hand, black silicone adhesive, i put a small bead in the channel reinstalled the weather strip let it cure 24 hours, put the top up for another 24 or so and just this evening put the top down again,(the weather is fantastic for an evening drive:D ) hopefully when it needs to go back up all will be well..

Tom j