• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Soft top for 64 GT

64auto

Donation Time
Just wondering if anyone on here has been able to find the complete kit.
Not that I want to cruise with a top on but sometimes in this Canadian weather you never know what will happen. Any help. Sorry if this has been asked in the past but could not find any details on the search.
Thanks

gary1725

Donation Time
do you mean convert to a soft top configuration like ST cars?

I am not sure what it takes to add S IV hood bins etc but I did convert a SV GT for the same reason - Alpine West Midlands used to sell the metal fixed bin new to weld into place - you would need to remove the brackets for the GT rear trim and find yourself a hood frame and the metal strips that hold the hood to the rear body - the seal for around the back between the hood material and the body can be bought new as can the hood cover and the roll pad.

thanks
Gary

alpine_64

Donation Time
Various ways to do it... Use a parts car S3/IV and take all panels and mechanism and remove rear GT seat area andand supports and convert to St spec ( did this on dad's sivgt) convert to SV spec with the soft cover... Or .. but a frame from s3-V remove the 2 side top padded areas on the rear and install frame with snaps for the top around the rear and you can retain the rear seat... But the too sits up Healey 3000 style on the rear when folded. Or you can unbolt it ... The alpine guide from UK club used to have a description of this method.

64auto

Donation Time
Thanks Guys- yes I have seen that video- I have been looking for a parts car here on Vancouver Island but haven't come across one-never mind another Auto- sure there must be something around. I do have a lot of parts but would be nice finding more, even a 63 or 65 parts would be ok.
But wilth 2 little kids and no room for a car seat- it is slowly seeing less and less time and more time in the garage.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Not sure what your looking for exactly ... the U-tube vid is helpful with the conversion but really good photos of the mounting areas and such are equally useful. I'm still working on my 67's 3 hard cover conversion ... I hate the look of all that material covering the soft top stowage area. Some welding and fabricating experience helps, just make sure you get all the bits and piece's with the covers, SS sells the pivot screws and side cover bolts but you'll need a couple rivnuts or captive nuts and shoulder bolts for the back cover, though yours "may" have those already there ... here's a photo of my progress so far as the motor/eng compartment has taken me away from completing it. Good luck!

.... David

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 33

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
I just meticulously removed the three sheet metal parts from a Series V at all the factory spot welds for the soft top storage. The big panel is at the boasters fight now getting cleaned. Was eventually going to put it on eBay but would love to avoid the fees if you are interested.

Much easier and less expensive to go late route than early, and less work. PM me if interested and I can send pics.

Rest in pieces.......

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
It's been hot as the surface of the sun here! Body work came to a halt before I really got started. But progress is being made. Original engine done and 289 done. Been busy making money paying for those rebuilds!

I'll be back on task soon.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Paul,

Always nice to see progress on your projects, but think the thread has been lead astray here.... Tiger engine stuff is a long way from soft top conversion advice being sought... Don't let the trolls lake you from the path :cool:

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
The GTs only came with a detachable hard top
A company in the UK make a plastic one that looks like the original
Bruce

alpine_64

Donation Time
Honeybourne mouldings in the UK do the factory looking tops..
http://www.honeybournemouldings.co.uk/sunbeam.htm

Bit naughty that they use a factory top photo.

They are not 100% the same as factory, but same basic shape. They lack operable windows and don't have rear fixing pins. Tye areas around the windows is thicker and they just have felt as a headlining.

With some effort you can use the original clips and fixing and add a headlining.