• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Soft top cover straps

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am wondering what this part is. This was in a box of parts that appear to have come off my series V. There are two of them. Left end of the strap has a pair of cut rivets.

upload_2020-4-27_12-47-41.png

Thanks,
Mike

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Series V specific. It's the belt securing the rolled up soft top cover once the Hardtop is fitted. There are 2 of them. Quite a strange setup though but original :rolleyes:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Do you know where they were originally attached? I checked the Parts Manual and Owner's Manual and am not seeing them.

Thanks,
Mike

alpine_64

Donation Time
Series V specific. It's the belt securing the rolled up soft top cover once the Hardtop is fitted. There are 2 of them. Quite a strange setup though but original :rolleyes:
Also for when the softop is up... Stops the cover collapsing into the empty stowage area

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks all for the photo and info about the straps. The material appears to be a rubber with some embedded fabric strands? It seems pretty brittle at this point. Not sure if I can soften it back up enough to be usable.

What do folks do for replacements? Are there reproductions? Or custom make equivalent fabric straps by transferring the metal pieces?

Thanks,
Mike

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Plus you need the matching Lift-a-Dot pins on the cover. If you buy a pebble one from Rick they are already pre -installed...

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Are the reproduction pieces identical in appearance to the originals?

I will be purchasing a soft top in the future. Good to know the Lift-a-Dot pins are something to look for.

Thanks,
Mike

65beam

Donation Time
Are the reproduction pieces identical in appearance to the originals?

I will be purchasing a soft top in the future. Good to know the Lift-a-Dot pins are something to look for.

Thanks,
Mike
The straps are made to original specs using the correct material. They have the hooks and are ready to install. The soft top covers were used only on series 5 Alpines and MK1A and MK2 Tigers so if you order a cover from SS it will have the pins attached in the correct location. I'm not sure what other suppliers have available.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
What I haven't quite figured out yet is how they are correctly attached. If anybody knows - pictures are welcome...

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am a bit confused when these straps are used. (I have my original soft top cover.)
1. When the convertible top is up, the straps are used to store the "soft top cover" in the space between the rear seat back and trunk curtain?
2. When the convertible top is down, the top cover is in place, and no hard top is in use, the straps support the folded up convertible top and attach to the soft top cover?
3. When the top is down and the hard top is in use, then ?

Thanks,
Mike

65beam

Donation Time
I am a bit confused when these straps are used. (I have my original soft top cover.)
1. When the convertible top is up, the straps are used to store the "soft top cover" in the space between the rear seat back and trunk curtain?
2. When the convertible top is down, the top cover is in place, and no hard top is in use, the straps support the folded up convertible top and attach to the soft top cover?
3. When the top is down and the hard top is in use, then ?

Thanks,
Mike
The end of the strap without the hook is riveted to the front panel of the top storage area inside the opening with the rivet heads being hid by the waste roll. Use a flat washer to prevent the strap from coming loose.When the top is up the hook sets in the opening on the top rail of the metal strip that holds the top fabric across the back of the car. The top boot needs folded under where the sewn seam is and the part of the strap with the fastener comes up over the boot and snaps to the pin in the cover. When the top is down the strap really doesn't need to be used. I always let it hang down into the area for the top to lay in. If you have the original hard top for a series 5 it will have two brackets on the panel below the rear window. These serve the same purpose as the openings in the other strip. Hard tops that were made fo series 3 & 4 did not have the brackets for the hooks.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Trying to translate Bob's descriptions to items I have:

1. The end of the strap without the hook is riveted to the front panel of the top storage area inside the opening with the rivet heads being hid by the waste roll. Use a flat washer to prevent the strap from coming loose.

Aladin Sane's photo from before shows this strap attachment.
upload_2020-5-1_15-8-27.png

2. When the top is up the hook sets in the opening on the top rail of the metal strip that holds the top fabric across the back of the car. The top boot needs folded under where the sewn seam is and the part of the strap with the fastener comes up over the boot and snaps to the pin in the cover.

Here's the metal strip that will hold the soft top fabric. I circled the holes the strap hook goes into.
upload_2020-5-1_15-11-26.jpeg

And here is the soft top cover with the pins circled to which the straps connect.
upload_2020-5-1_15-12-45.jpeg

3. If you have the original hard top for a series 5 it will have two brackets on the panel below the rear window. These serve the same purpose as the openings in the other strip. Hard tops that were made fo series 3 & 4 did not have the brackets for the hooks.

Here is my series 5 hard top with the bracket circled where the strap's hook goes. And you can see the snap connector near the corner for the soft top cover's side flap.
upload_2020-5-1_15-23-6.jpeg

I think this is all straight in my mind now.

Thanks much!
Mike

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Great job,thanks. Much easier to understand with your pictured translation. Never really realized that small hole in the soft top sealing rail and the small bracket at the Hardtop. Still would like to see it all attached :)

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
Great job,thanks. Much easier to understand with your pictured translation. Never really realized that small hole in the soft top sealing rail and that small bracket at the Hardtop. Still would like to see it all attached :)
When the top is up the only thing you'll see is the section of the strap that sets on top of the cover. When the top is down there isn't anything to see. The rail for the series 5 body was the only one with the holes for the hook. Series 3 & 4 hard tops didn't have the brackets The straps wern't on earlier cars because of the top boot doors. This system is a perfect example of the engineering phrase "keep it simple ".

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
After all it's something for the concourse judges, but that's the stuff I like.

Still would like to see it attached with Hardtop on since I use to fumble the soft top cover flaps somewhat downwards and pull the zips up as far as possible. If you don't do that sometimes the 3 individual sections of the cover get blown up towards the inside when driving. So using this nice little Rootes engineerd solution as it was intended should prevent that...

Last edited:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Actually, it’s more than for the judges. I still use mine when the top is down or the hardtop is on. It prevents the top boot cover looking like crap, all jammed down in the hole. Just fold under the edges of the cover, apply the strap-snaps and everything’s tidy.