• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Soft top boot and tonneau cover

Jim in PA

Donation Time
Hello all.
I am nearly ready to send the SV out to have new carpets, misc. interior panels, soft top boot and tonneau cover installed. (The seats are rewelded, repainted, refoamed and recovered) I'll still need to finish installing the Fatmat sound deadener before the interior is installed.
This car has never had a tonneau cover because the studs on the dash are not there...only the original screws at the ends of the vents.
I am curious if the soft top boot can be used when the soft top is stowed AND use the tonneau at the same time?
Does the soft top boot get left off so the studs and snaps can be used for the tonneau only?
The studs don't seem long enough to have the soft top boot in place covering the stowed soft top and have enough left to fasten the tonneau on top of the boot. The old boot is tattered and torn so I can't put it in place to see what's what.
Thanks.
Jim

mikephillips

Donation Time
If you're using the tonneau cover, take the top boot cover and just fold it into the well on top of the top. You're right that the studs aren't tall enough for both, at least not to reliably retain both.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike's right, and in fact a proper boot cover has fold marks impressed in the cover where it is meant to be tucked under before installing the tonneau. These same fold marks are used when stowing the boot cover when the top is up, except in that case you should also use the two straps underneath to keep it from falling down into the top well.. they go around the back edge of the boot and hook to the two studs on top of the boot.

Jim in PA

Donation Time
soft top boot and tonneau

Thanks again gents.
You have confirmed my suspicions. I learned about the straps for supporting the soft top boot from earlier posts here. Mine are there and still in decent shape.
I can't wait to see my hooptie with it's new interior, tonneau and soft top boot. (even if the top may never be put up again...)
I've downloaded the video of soft top stowing procedure, posted here, a couple of weeks ago. (Thank you to the person who created the video and the person who posted it!) That should help me as well as the guys at the interior shop.
I may post some pics once I have my buggy back.
Thanks.