• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

single 40 inlet manifold

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Has anyone seen or used one of these?
Its an inlet manifold to suit Hilman Hunter GT (alloy head), so I assume it would fit an Alpine. Its for a single sidedraught eg weber DCOE, (40 I think). Its for sale and I am tempted...

Any experience of a single 40 on a 1725 Alpine?

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Dave,

There are a few local members that have these manifolds down in Victoria. I was even thinking about it too. One of the members was having trouble with their twin webers and went to the single and found the car to be alot more driveable. If the manifold you are looking at is for a Hunter (10 degree offset), it will need to be modified to suit the Alpine as with the twin manifolds. You will also have to get the jetting right for the engine as well. Where did you see this manifold for sale?

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Dave,

I found the item on Ebay which I assume you are looking at. The price is fairly high as you could get a twin carby manifold for about the same price, but as the person stated they are very rare. I looks like you will need to modify it though.

Regards, Robin.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Has anyone seen or used one of these?
Its an inlet manifold to suit Hilman Hunter GT (alloy head), so I assume it would fit an Alpine. Its for a single sidedraught eg weber DCOE, (40 I think). Its for sale and I am tempted...

Any experience of a single 40 on a 1725 Alpine?

Its the old lynx single 40, some company bought up all the tooling to their intakes and they are sold under a new name. I dont recall the new name, but I saw a catalog a few years ago with that intake under a "hunter" application.

If its truly for a hunter, its faces wont be parallel since a hunter engine is angled.

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Guys, thanks for the info. Makes sense.
Yes Robin, seems like you are looking at the same one. (I came across it while I was browsing for a pair of 40's for my Ginetta. By coincidence I'm actually in contact with Lynx at present to get a run of twin 40 manifolds made up for the Imp engine)
Not cheap, but perhaps worth a look.

Is the modification fairly straightforward, ie is there enough material to have it machined to "parallel" the two faces? (one side or both?) Or does it require something more complicated?
cheers
Dave

65beam

Donation Time
intake manifold

it's fairly easy.cut the flange off,square off the intake tubes and weld the flange back on . i did the reverse to an intake for a series 4 and made it to fit a 69GT so i could run a 32/36 weber.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Dave,
Will lynx do a special one off run with a manifold? The cutting and welding is straight forward as long as you have the equipment to do the job. I was lucky, my dad had all the equipment at his workshop to do the work and I then got the manifold machined flat. Remember the side draught carbies work best with an angle between 5-8 degrees fall (front of the carby higher than the back).

Regards, Robin.

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Robin,
No, their minimum production run is 20, at least for the manifolds I'm getting for the Imp engine. I'm organising it on behalf of a mob of impers in the UK (and a few over here and various european countries!).

mmm, I'll have to think about the hunter manifold, tempting (I wonder if I can get a deal on buying 3 new sidedraughts instead of two....;) )