• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Singer Gazelles

64beam

Donation Time
The second Gazelle, looks great. It's a pity the engine bay did'nt get the same treatment. Were the Gazelle's modelled off the Rapiers?

Regards, Robin.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
The Singer Gazelle, Hillman Minx and Sunbeam Rapier had similar floor-pans and suspension. All were available as convertibles. The Gazelle and Minx were also built as 4-door saloons and estates but the saloon version of the Rapier had 2 doors with frameless windows giving the "pillarless" effect when they were lowered.

lemansvk

Donation Time
In Australia, Singer Gazelles would appear to be quite rare, Rootes dropped the model in the early 1960s after poor sales. Early Gazelles had a twin solex version of the iron head Hillman motor. For Aussies who have heard of Harry Firth (famous for racing in Fords and later with the Holden Dealer Team) - well, Harry raced a Singer Gazelle in the Armstrong 500 race at Phillip Island in 1960

For the IIIC model (1962) in Aust the poor selling Gazelle was replaced with a Hillman model called the Australian DeLuxe (ADL) which sold quite well - it was really a Gazelle with Hillman grille and badges (the chassis numbers for these cars are Gazelle numbers, as distinct from Minx numbers), and they had the same interiors (walnut trim) paint jobs, tail lights etc - fuller story and pics see here http://www.sa.hillman.org.au/BV2.htm

Later - 1966 - Rootes Australia introduced a Hillman Gazelle which was a curious hybrid of the Minx VI, with Gazelle interior and alloy head 'Rapier' motor. more detail here.

hhttp://www.sa.hillman.org.au/BarryHall.htm

So you can have a Gazelle in Aust, but it will be a Hillman :D

Vic

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Here's "my" aussie 66 Hillman Gazelle. Actually belongs to a friend, but I'm the chief mechanic (she wants to learn).
Cost $500, running, although its currently in bits
1725 alloy head motor.
I'll get to it once I've got the Super Snipe on the road and rebuilt the Imp engine in the Ginetta...

Attachments

• gazelle.jpg
    gazelle.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 11