• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SII side mirror sources?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Anyone have opinions on suitable and period correct solutions for side view mirrors?

Hard to believe but none have ever been fitted to my car.

Do they all mount on the wing or do some mount to the doors?

TIA

65beam

Donation Time
mirrors

I use the Lucas style mirrors available from Moss or VB. they are available in either door or fender mount.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Anyone have opinions on suitable and period correct solutions for side view mirrors?

Hard to believe but none have ever been fitted to my car.

Do they all mount on the wing or do some mount to the doors?

TIA

Jarrid,

There are many types of period side mirror available, but style, size and quality vary.

Being a series ii and knowing your sporting leaning perhaps the bullet mirrors or raydot style might suit your tastes, however due to their short mounting posts if you are a taller driver they give limited field of vision if mounted on the leading edge of the door, but are better if mounted further forward, but then it also becomes about aesthetic.

If you like bullet mirrors many of the modern repros are a little to round at their forward edge and often have smaller mirror glasses than many period options.

Sunbeam specialties sells a bullet repro that is durable, but I personally don't like the way the screw sits proud at the end.

A guy in CA makes correct replicas of the Talbot Berlin jr/snr bullet mirrors in both spun brass with chrome or alloy, but they are very pricey.

TEX do stainless steel bullet mirrors which are quote popular.

On my sii the car had never had door mirrors and I didn't want to drill the body, but it had a radio antenna so I used that hole with a raydyot style mirror ( often sold as "raydot") which I replaced the mirror with a convex one. It gives great field of vision and is in my field of vision while driving, I don't have to move my head at all.

If you are patient you can shower eBay UK for Walpres, Wingard, Styla and talbot bullet mirrors. The wingard and styla " floline" are really good, great shape and a large mirror head.

Styla/wingard floline:
103214283_o3.jpg

Walpres/asm:
img_0

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
mirrors

These are from VB at a cost of 19.95 each and have plenty of adjustment. They don't look "stuck on". Easy to mount.

Attachments

• 107_1005.jpg
    107_1005.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
These are from VB at a cost of 19.95 each and have plenty of adjustment. They don't look "stuck on". Easy to mount.

Those vb replica Lucas mirrors are quite poor quality chrome, I had those on my tiger and removed them as they were very poor finish.. you get what you pay for with cheap chrome parts ...

The mirrors are also not very sporting.

But each to their own.

alpine_64

Donation Time
You're beginning to understand the way things work.

Yes there are those that talk lots and cut many corners.... If you like cheap low quality parts that's your choice... Pity you don't support sunbeam specialties and buy the better product

65beam

Donation Time
mirrors

Yes there are those that talk lots and cut many corners.... If you like cheap low quality parts that's your choice... Pity you don't support sunbeam specialties and buy the better product

I know you're not talking about me because I don't cut corners on anything and I buy from SS every month. FYI, you need to check out SS part number ET 110. Any wild guess as to what this part is ?

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
RootesRacer, if you type "Desmo mirror" into the search box you will find a thread that I posted years ago showing a mirror fitted to the window channel without the need to do any drilling.

99ZoomR

Gold Level Sponsor
I used mirrors I bought from an O'Reilly's auto parts store. Not very sporty but no need to drill holes and have a period look...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I put on the spun aluminum Raydots. I personally think the Talbots look too clunky for the car. But FYI, I took a while and actually found Raydots with curved mirrors. HUGE help.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jarrod,

The raydoyt style ones mount from below , I used the hole that rootes provided for the radio aerial, can send you pictures of step by step for that.

The Talbot /hello have a u bolt that goes under the mirror, this needs access from behind a panel so you would likely mount those on the door to get access to the inside of the panel. They also offer a plinth that you can mount the u bolt to then screw externally into the panel. Most bullet mirrors these days screw in externally.

Drop me an e-mail and I'll go into more detail.

Mk

99ZoomR

Gold Level Sponsor
Neither one. Mine are attached to the top edge of the door and are held on by two set screws from underneath. Basically they are clamped on. There are rubber pads that are placed between the mirror base and the door surface to keep from damaging the paint.

Attachments

• IMG_1853.jpeg
    IMG_1853.jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 25