• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Shortening lifters

tigretr

Donation Time
I am about to have my cam and lifters re-worked at Delta Cams and I remember reading about someone shortening their lifters (1725 engine) to reduce their inertia as they slide up and down. I was wondering how much people have taken off the lifters and if someone has weighed them before and after.

Thanks,
Brian

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I am about to have my cam and lifters re-worked at Delta Cams and I remember reading about someone shortening their lifters (1725 engine) to reduce their inertia as they slide up and down. I was wondering how much people have taken off the lifters and if someone has weighed them before and after.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian, the lifters are not so heavy compared to other sprung items.

Shortening the lifter only lightens the light end of the lifter, and and significant lightening will significantly shorten the lifter, which IMO will load the lifter more in its bores.

I imagine that mass can be reduced in other areas so much that the small amount that you save on the lifters is not worth the risk.

Items that can reduce the weight considerably:
1) Lighter custom pushrods, Isky used to make them, they are more fragile though.
2) Lightened, polished and shot peened rockers.
3) Titanium keepers with low angle cotters.
4) Valve springs, You only keep half the weight diff here, but I saved a lot of weight using higher rate crane cams springs vs. rootes springs.
5) Tulip stem stainless valves (like cut down datsun Z car valves from ferrea).
My oversized 1.600 inch intakes weighed less than the stock exhaust valve.

Overall, you can lighten the valve train so much, you could use stock spring pressures or even less and STILL be damped at 7500 RPM.

tigretr

Donation Time
Thanks for the info guys. Jarrid, that is what I was thinking too. I can't remember how far the lifters go into the bores, but If I remember correctly they are flush with the top of the bore already when the valve is closed. Shortening much more would only increase side loads and wear. As for the rest of your list, I am with you. I already have items 1,3,4,&5. What ever happened to the roller rockers people were talking about having made? Did that fall through?

This weekend I am pulling my motor so I can put my external oil pump on and figure out how to drive everything with timing belts. Should be interesting. I will keep you posted!

Thanks again,
Brian