• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

shocks

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
what would be the recommendation for decent, road worthy shocks for a S4?
monroe or equivalient? cat numbers would be a bonus

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sam, I am running Monroe gas shocks for a 68 Camaro, front and rear. They were about $100 a set of 4. They do seem to be decent road shocks. Sorry, no cat numbers.

Bill

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Jim,
Just as a point of reference, I ended up using the old bushings and inserts (or maybe just the steel inserts) on the last shocks I got from a Sunbeam parts house -- the new ones were quite sloppy on the OEM crossbolts...

Ken

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, its been a few years, but I think I ended up knocking some of the Chevy stuff off the shocks. The rear shocks had a huge cross bolt in the bottom "eye" that had to come out so the shock could slid onto the Alpine shock stud. The fronts, I'm thinking, I ended up using some of the Alpine hardware, cannot remember exactly what.

Bill

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Shock Absorber Interchange

First printed 4/87

What shock will fit on the Alpine/Tiger (as compared to other cars)-
Your best bet is to buy a set of Konis or Spax for the Tiger from one of the Sunbeam parts houses. Although expensive, you can be sure they are going to bolt right on. The Gabriel "Adjustable E" models are also a good choice (model 63329 or 63170 for the front and model 63331 or 63171 for the rear). If you want to try a less expensive solution, some cross-reference info is presented here. I can't vouch for the accuracy of these but they should be a good starting point.

Front Rear
Sears # 79281 Ford Truck '50-'74
Full size Buick '65-'70 Lincoln '52-'54
Buick Riviera '66-'70 Corvette '60-'62
Cadillac '65-'76 Olds Vista Cruiser '63

With some of these shocks, it will be necessary to use different mounting bushings and/or bolts than supplied.
:cool:

Derek

Donation Time
Sam, I just went through this myself. I ended up putting Monroe shocks fromm SS on my SV. They were cheap ($115 for 4) compared to SPAX or KONI (over $600) They bolted right up with no issues, and worked so much better than the old tired ones on the car that I would not go for the more expensive and adjustable shocks until I have gone through every other bit of suspension and steering link, ball, bushing, tire, etc. BTW the Monroe part #'s on the shocks are
Front 2067
Rear 32126

Derek

Alpine66

Donation Time
monroe shocks

Thanks for the part numbers Derek- I can pull up the 32126, but not the
2067;would you double check that number?
Tried checking monroes site too, but got an error message.
Thanks, James

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Thanks for the part numbers Derek- I can pull up the 32126, but not the
2067;would you double check that number?
Tried checking monroes site too, but got an error message.
Thanks, James

I assume that was a typo and should be 32067, that part number matches the Riviera and Cadillac reference.

Derek

Donation Time
No, 2067 is what is stamped on the shock body. Also these have no dust cover over the piston, don't know if they have been "modified" or not. Take the easy way out and order them from Sunbeam Spec.

Derek

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
No, 2067 is what is stamped on the shock body. Also these have no dust cover over the piston, don't know if they have been "modified" or not. Take the easy way out and order them from Sunbeam Spec.
Derek

Here's a picture of the 32067, which is listed for a '66-'70 Buick Riviera.

Do yours look like this, Derek? I was wondering about the large bushing on the end. I'm assuming that's what everybody is talking about earlier. You need to remove that bushing or cut it down or something? Maybe they come already modified from SS?

partImageDisplay.do

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
That looks a lot like the one I tried to use a few years ago. Getting that bushing out was not easy, as the tube is bonded to the rubber, which in turn is bonded to the shock absorber. Once I finally got the whole thing apart, I discovered that I didn't have good stock bushings that I could use. I tried like hell to find something that would work (although I stupidly didn't ask for help here!) and finally gave up and sold the two rear shocks 'as is' on eBay.

Hopefully, someone knows a better solution, as I will soon be in the market for shocks for my SIV.

Derek

Donation Time
Yes that is what the shock looks like and yes the bushing had been cut down. I am guessing this is aa mod made by SS

Derek

wframe

Donation Time
A couple of years ago, I bought a pair for the front. I still have the box at home. I'll check it later and post the make & number. I believe I bought them from Pep Boys and I know they bolted right on with no modifications at all.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
These other shocks may fit (with some work) and may be cheaper, but you're missing a chance to make a noticeable improvement to your Alpine's handling with a simple bolt-on. Why not at least consider Monroe's, etc for the back, but Spax or Koni for the front?

mikephillips

Donation Time
That looks like what I used Todd, although I don't recall the part number. What I did was use a cutoff wheel in my grinder and cut the steel tube back even with the bushing. If you don't do it all at once it won't heat up enough to damage the rubber bushing. Depending on how careful you are you might need to spread the ears on the lower shock mount a bit to fit over what's left of the tube.

wframe

Donation Time
I finally got out in the garage to check the part number on the shocks I install on the front of my SII several years ago. They are Gabriel Pro-Ryder. The box has the number TC-SU4629, which I cannot locate on the Gabriel site. It also has a stick-on label on the end with the number 82026 on it. This number returns a bunch of '50s & '60s cars including 1953-62 Corvette and 1961 - 73 Volvo 1800.

Anyway, they have been on the car for several years and I have been satisfied with them. I don't push the Alpine very hard, but they were a big improvement over the old worn out one that were on the car. The old ones could easily have been the original shocks.

Also, either I had a "senior moment" or Pep Boys just doesn't carry them any more. Gabriel list AutoZone, CarQuest, and several other retailers, but not Pep Boys.