• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Shocks

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Good day folks,
I've got a series V with the 2.8 , completely rebuilt suspension(along witheverythingelse). My question is about the front suspension, I put series 3 front springs on to lower the front a bit ,also installed series V front shocks they work but if you push down on the fender the shock will "bottom" out there's not a lot of shock play with this setup. I haven't had a problem, but I'm wondering if series 3 shocks should have been used instead.
Thanks again for any and all insights and or advice.
Tom j

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Good day folks,
I've got a series V with the 2.8 , completely rebuilt suspension(along witheverythingelse). My question is about the front suspension, I put series 3 front springs on to lower the front a bit ,also installed series V front shocks they work but if you push down on the fender the shock will "bottom" out there's not a lot of shock play with this setup. I haven't had a problem, but I'm wondering if series 3 shocks should have been used instead.
Thanks again for any and all insights and or advice.
Tom j

The factory S-V front suspension system has "bump rubbers" (aka, bump stops) on the "lower links" (aka, lower A-arms) that limit compression travel. If your front shocks are "bottoming out" before the compression bump stops, then your front shocks are too long or are not mounted correctly.

The factory Woodhead-Monroe front shocks that came on my S-V measure 8-1/4" compressed and 12-1/2" extended. There are not many shocks that will compress to 8-1/4", extend to 12-1/2" and have a mounting configuration that is suitable for a late Series Alpine.

The front shocks for first generation Camaros that are often recommended for late Series Alpines are about 8-5/8" compressed (+3/8"), 13-3/8" extended (+7/8") and have bottom mounts that must be modified for a S-V. The extended length should not be an issue, but the extra compressed length might result in the shock "bottoming out."

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
but I'm wondering if series 3 shocks should have been used instead.

Tom,

The s3 shock uses the earlier style lower mount, so would not be a direct interchange.

If you are truly bottoming the shock, it might be possible to fab a spacer to drop the lower shock mount.

I wouldn't consider a stack of washers to be safe for anything more than a "test of concept."

Dan could probably help with the design and fabrication - spacer or maybe a new mount design.

Just a thought,

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The correct procedure with non-original parts is to cycle the front suspension through the full range of motion and carefully observe what happens.

Front suspension compression travel should be limited by the rubber bump stop mounted on the lower control arm and not by the shock absorber. Typical telescopic shocks are not designed or rated for being bottomed out and repeatedly doing so will almost certainly damage the shock as well as giving a very harsh ride.

Front suspension extension travel should be limited by the bump stop mounted on the upper control arm, not by the shock absorber. Typical telescopic shock absorbers can withstand being fully extended, but it is not good engineering practice and will be very abrupt as compared to a rubber bump stop.

Removing the front coil spring will make cycling the front suspension a lot easier.

Late (S-IV / V) Alpines originally had about 2-3/4" of front suspension compression travel and lowering the front ride height can reduce the compression travel from not much to not enough.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't believe I want to remove the spring as I didn't enjoy the process of installing them, however I don't have that much compression on the front end. The shocks installed are KYB I have no idea what the p/n is as the box is long gone, they were purchased from a import car vendor although not a Sunbeam only supplier. When re- assembling I used my untouched Series V as a guide along with a parts book and service manual, so I'm pretty certain it's assembled correctly. I don't think that it's hitting the bump stops according to my observer who wasn't heavy enough to do the pushing so I could look.
Tom j

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Hmm. There is information on KYBs for Alpines. I researched them myself, and even contacted KYB for information. It has been maybe 30 years now. But I recall that there was an issue with the size on either the front or rear, and that they didn't have anything else. I think they may have been designed for a Samurai or something. Anyway, I opted for something else.