• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Shifter rattles

twospeed

Donation Time
Finally a nice warm sunny day,take my SIII for a ride and the shifter rattles now.
Checked the u-joints and drive shaft all is good,jacked it up and tried it and it seems OK.
Only does it when I drive it not on the jack stands.
If I hold the shifter it goes away.
Any ideas?

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Two potential causes -

1. Take off your gaiter and tighten the plate (4 screws) that connects and secures the lever to the tranny. You might want to pour a little oil in there to lubricate that area also.

2. It could be in the knob. Unscrew it, put teflon tape on the threads and tighten it up good. If you have a wooden knob, check that the plaque (if you have one, and any metal parts of the knob might be the cause of the vibration noise. If they are loose, glue them up to secure. It doesn't take much vibration of the gearstick make an awful rattle in the knob.

I had a similiar problem with my SV, I was sure that it was inside the tranny, and had made plans to drop it and take a look. It turned out to be just the wooden knob that was vibrating.

beamS3

Donation Time
Rootes Service Bulletins Light Car Range (WSM 124) Bulletin E6 and E8 address this issue.

Bob

beamS3

Donation Time
Re: Service Bulletin. I received mine through Paul Norton - SAOC (but several years ago). Part 1 of 3:
"Remove the change speed lever and check that the flange above the ball end of the change speed lever is not fouling the change lever shaft. If this fouling is apparent (normally indicated by a shiny worn edge on the flange) the flange should be relieved by careful grinding until clearance is obtained in all gear positions."

Try this. If rattle still apparent the top cover should be removed and part 2 attempted - at that point contact me and I'll type in some further.

twospeed

Donation Time
Re: Service Bulletin. I received mine through Paul Norton - SAOC (but several years ago). Part 1 of 3:
"Remove the change speed lever and check that the flange above the ball end of the change speed lever is not fouling the change lever shaft. If this fouling is apparent (normally indicated by a shiny worn edge on the flange) the flange should be relieved by careful grinding until clearance is obtained in all gear positions."

Try this. If rattle still apparent the top cover should be removed and part 2 attempted - at that point contact me and I'll type in some further.
I did the first one---all is OK. You say there is more?