• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

shifter handle...

Gitsmart

Donation Time
on to my next task :) the shifter, I'm thinking a short (maybe 7") and straight up from the tranny.

what do you guys have and do you like it, any pics.

TIA

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
If you aren´t going to use something like a Holley or Pro 5.0 shifter, I recommend cutting the stock shifter. I cut just before the first bend, then just cut after the top bend. Once you´ve done this, weld the two straight parts together and you have a shifter that is about 7" long, and it shortens the throws too. I used this set up on my turbo Alpine, and it worked great.

Jose

Gitsmart

Donation Time
If you aren´t going to use something like a Holley or Pro 5.0 shifter, I recommend cutting the stock shifter. I cut just before the first bend, then just cut after the top bend. Once you´ve done this, weld the two straight parts together and you have a shifter that is about 7" long, and it shortens the throws too. I used this set up on my turbo Alpine, and it worked great.

Jose

Thanks Jose,

cutting the stock shifter is what I was thinking, then weld a piece and drill for the two bolts.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
If you use the stock shifter, the lower part will already have the two mounting holes, so you don´t need to mess with it. The flat part with the two holes, also has serrations that mate with the serrations on the part that sticks out of the transmission, so the stick doesn´t move when you shift.

Jose

Gitsmart

Donation Time
If you use the stock shifter, the lower part will already have the two mounting holes, so you don´t need to mess with it. The flat part with the two holes, also has serrations that mate with the serrations on the part that sticks out of the transmission, so the stick doesn´t move when you shift.

Jose

well on my series V the shifter is one piece, I'll have to weld a flat bar to attach it.

AlpineII

Donation Time
It's not in the car yet but this is what I had made up to go with the one piece aluminum dash. It's made to fit exactly where my hand sits on it without really trying.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Won't do this again for the new car but these came out of a Pantera and I had them reupholstered to look like Alpine seats. Local guy did them.

Problem is these seats have flat bottoms rather than hollow lowers like our cars have. They sit about 2" higher than normal.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Won't do this again for the new car but these came out of a Pantera and I had them reupholstered to look like Alpine seats. Local guy did them.

Problem is these seats have flat bottoms rather than hollow lowers like our cars have. They sit about 2" higher than normal.

Thanks Nick. They do look great, but now I remember you talking about them once before. Too bad they are uncomfortable. This is certainly one case where it is not 'better to look good than to feel good'.

Gitsmart

Donation Time
Mine is from a 95 and the handle unbolts from the shifter.
Now , the MGB conversion uses a Camaro T5 and that shifter is one piece.

yes I think most Ford T-5's unbolt from the shifter, it's the Alpine Shifter that's one piece.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Nick. They do look great, but now I remember you talking about them once before. Too bad they are uncomfortable. This is certainly one case where it is not 'better to look good than to feel good'.

Jim,

Sorry you got the wrong impression. They are real comfortable, just sit higher and were a pain to get fitted. I'm 5'3" and the make me look 5'8".... Until I get out of the car...:D

The other problem is even if I offer to let someone drive it, they are not comfortable.... Steering wheel won't slide back far enough to prevent cutting off circulation to the legs...:D:D

Yenko

Donation Time
Gitsmart,

Here's a shot of my shifter, from what I know about it...nothing...;)'cause it came with the 1996 V6 Mustang tranny that I bought last year.
I think it's a stock Mustang shifter.
But,anyway, I love the ergonomy of it...I'm 5'11'' and when I sit in the car, I'm very confortable...I know you're doing this Alpine, mostly for your wife, but, recently I let my girlfriend try it...:eek: and she likes it...just put foward the seat and that's OK...
BTW, that boot is from an old 1967 Camaro that I modified for the Alpine...I like it this way...It shows that you have something big under the tunnel...;)

Attachments

• Shifter_T5 003.jpg
    Shifter_T5 003.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 38

socorob

Donation Time
I wanted to get a cool looking handle, but the mustang v6 handle is so comfortable ive been having second thoughts. The back of my tunnel is round, so i had to get a boot and ring from lokar and it fits the curve exactly.

socorob

Donation Time
I can't right now. My car is stuck up on a lift with the rear axles out waiting to get new wheel studs pressed in.