• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SeriesV rear half restoration photos

67Survivor

Donation Time
Hi Guys,

I had some issues I wanted to address on the rear half of my SeriesV. Of course, once the paint was removed, I got to see just how bad the previous repair work had been. The decision was made to move from repair to restoration. Unfortunately between budget restraints and available shop time, the decision was made to just tackle the rear half and drivers door at this time. Using the line between the door and the rear wheel arch as a blend point, I will have the front half restored as well in the near future. I also had an antenna hole filled as I have no plans to install a radio and some bad mirror holes closed over. Paint goes on next week, and I will post some more photos then.
Hope you enjoy the pics,
Rob
http://www.artisanimages.ca/Cars/Sunbeam-Alpine/Body-Restoration/

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Great photos! Nice welding. From nothing to as good as it gets. I've always found it easier to pay a bit more for someone else's work. With Sunbeam prices at an all time high and probably never to be low again, in our lifetime, makes what you're doing all the more interesting. Nice mags also. Looks like what used to be generally referred to as "Craigers."

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Well, I'm pretty impressed, and believe me, I'm a hard guy to impress. Now if you really want to impress me, tell me that's you doing the work.
Being as I have a California car that just needed a few dings banged out, I never had to do this kind of repair.
Anyway, good on ya. Looking fine. Thanks for sharing.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rob, That is some very nice work...I know how detailed and time consuming it can be.

The "Rust Bug" is always at work if given a place to do so.

I have looked several times for a nice set of those Wheels. Beautiful addition to any Alpine.

Keep them on the Road:D

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Outstanding pictures!
Those will be a great reference for someone. This is what we call "proper rust repair" and it's good for people to see just how much work goes into doing it right. You didn't play around. Nice job.

I wish I was as fast as it looks like you are.

Paul

67Survivor

Donation Time
Hey Guys,
I'm glad everyone is enjoying these pictures. I am not doing the body work myself, one of my very close friends owns a VW restoration shop, and knowing what a perfectionist he is, I elected to have him do the work. I am an electrician, and I understand the benefits of paying someone to do what they do well. Fortunately for me, he is also in a hurry to get back onto the VW's he has sitting, so my car is being prioritized. I ordered a fender arch and part of the rear panel from Randy Willet, they arrived here Wednesday morning and were being installed by late Wednesday afternoon. At this rate, I should be back on the road inside of two weeks.
I have two fresh chromed headlight trims and straightened re-chromed bumpers waiting to be installed. Very much looking forward to that.
The wheels are actually original Cragars from the 60's and at this point I own three sets of them. I keep buying them and replacing the worst ones with the best ones and eventually maybe I will be content with them. I just missed an opportunity for a fresh new old stock set. The ones on the car are all 5.5 wide, but I just bought 2 7" wide ones in excellent condition, so if they will fit inside the wheel wells, I will be using them for sure.
Have a great day guys,
Rob

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I shall repeat my first praise for a job well done! And I sure like those Cragars:)

67Survivor

Donation Time
Hi Rob
Nice Job nice to see a fellow Canuk restore a beautiful car did you use Canadian steel !
Dan
Hi Dan,
Other than the panels purchased from Randy Willet, the rest was repaired locally and I expect with Canadian steel. I never really thought about the source to be honest. The body guy did comment on how much he enjoyed welding onto a car that doesn't just melt like a VW.