• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V Fan

65beam

Donation Time
fan

the face book page has been there for several years. nobody uses it. the last post was a photo in October,2015. prior to that was September, 2014.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I've had two different blades break off and put a hole in the exact same spot of the bonnet.

There's a little ripple at the base of each blade. That's where both broke. The weld areas were OK.

In retrospect, I handled my fans roughly, using the fan to turn the engine by hand when setting the valves. Most fans haven't been treated that way, but who knows what the PO's might have done over 50 years? My last fan broke over 20 years ago on the way to SUNI II. An Alpiner in Idado Falls gave me an early Series 6-blader, which has at least 100K miles on it since. Apparently a little less air flow than the 4-blade, but I haven't noticed it on the temp guage.

Never personally had this issue but heard from a coupla guys that the spot welds snap and the blade flies. Couldn't this be solved by making 2/3 new spots on each blade? TT was always pretty adamant about the higher CFM of the original V fan versus the early 6-blade, even modified.

.02 opinion.

Mark ..... volvoguys

65beam

Donation Time
fan

an alpine with a 50/50 coolant blend and a clean radiator should not over heat so a lower air flow should not be a problem. the blade that was on the wife's car broke close to the center where the kink is.

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I too was unaware of a SAOCA Facebook page! Neat. But don't look for "SAOCA", that will get you to a Salvation Army page. Look for "Sunbeam Alpine Owners Club of America"

Tom

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bob, The photo of the 4 bladed fan only shows the one fan. I can see just the tip of the second fan to the right.

Tom