• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V Alternator bracket needed

fireroad

Donation Time
Need for a generator to alternator conversion on a Ser. II.

I recently went down the rabbit hol;e looking for this part when I discovered the one on my SV was cracked. Short version is they are very hard to find: not many made and they were prone to breaking. I ended up welding mine. Dan Richardson aka DanR on the forum has a devloped drawings to have new ones manufactured. They are not identical to original because the bends are tough, but sounds like his version would be stronger. He's starting a list of interested folks for a potential future run so I would reach out to him!

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Sorry I’m all over the place this week. You need one of these? I got one you can have. PM me your address and I’ll send it to you, no charge. I’ll see if I can find the bolts, not sure where those are…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    679.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was just In the fabrication shop trying to figure how to create a replacement for the Alternator bracket.

Anyone interested?

Last edited:

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan, are you talking about the bracket that holds the alt to the block or the adjustment
bracket?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Bracket for holding the alternator to the block. What do you think about including the adjustment arm also?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
I was just In the fabrication shop trying to figure how to create a replacement for the Alternator bracket.

Anyone interested?
Yes me, as long as you gonna make them as alu billets. Threads preferred, but no must. Think alu is providing good dampening characteristics vs. the original bent steel affair. They'll all break from vibrations sooner or later...

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bern, I had not given any thought to making them out of aluminum. I'll give that to my Engineer/Draftsman/Laser Buddy for his input.

Also, I've noticed out of four on the Alt Brks I have, three have different diameter bolt holes. The ones for mounting to the block should be the same as the stock... The ones for the Alternator could vary, but, that would depend upon the alternator you select for your Alpne. Any thoughts or recommendations.

Should the mounting holes for the alternator to the bracket be threaded?

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ok, thought so. Let me know the outcome.

P.S. Have seen threaded & non threaded ones. Threads appear like a good idea, but have lost many rear screws - even despite applying Loctite - because of nasty vibrations...

Last edited:

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Also, I've noticed out of four on the Alt Brks I have, three have different diameter bolt holes. The ones for mounting to the block show be the same ans the stock... The ones for the Alternator could vary, but, that would depend upon the alternator you select for your Alpne. Any thoughts or recommendations.
Dan, I have the stock brackets modified by slotting the holes. It make the bracket adjustable ( back & forth)
so you can line up the alternator perfectly. You could probably make the hole a little larger to accomodate
and difference in mounting bolts.

As far as the adjustment bracket goes, I use generic GM steel brackets that I cut down and drill a hole
to mount. They're a lot beefier and haven't broken one yet!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve,

Do you have a link or part number for those GM brackets you modify?

Thanks,
MIke

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
I had to make my own ... since I had a alternative alternator (gm) already there ... Best part about owning some of these kittens ..... They test your resourcefulness and basic skills. .. The tension arm/bracket I used came off a sb ford I believe.

.......... David

..I'll look for the pic.s if interested?

Last edited:

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I get them longer so I can cut them to fit. The tracker one looks a bit short, although
resembles the stock bracket.

Acollin

Donation Time
Similar alternator adjustment brackets for an Sv are also available from moss motors. My original cracked and found the replacement beefier and a good fit. There are a few offered- not all will fit, but they provide a decent diagram with some measurements.