• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series IV brake bleeders

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Can someone please confirm for me the number of rear brake bleeders on a series IV Alpine? I don't have easy access to mine, but I'm 99% sure that they only have one.

Thank you, Robin.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
If I remember right, that is the way my SV is plumbed. Splitter from the front fender, runs down the (drivers) right side (left had drive) of the frame to the live axle, into the right wheel, out again to the left with the bleeder. If you are right hand drive, would it be opposite?

64beam

Donation Time
If I remember right, that is the way my SV is plumbed. Splitter from the front fender, runs down the (drivers) right side (left had drive) of the frame to the live axle, into the right wheel, out again to the left with the bleeder. If you are right hand drive, would it be opposite?

Hi Tracy,

Thank you for the reply. The series V sounds like its plumbed the same way as the Tiger I have. As I stated, I sure that is how the Alpine is as well but the Alpine is not at home. Don't quote me on it, but I think the brake lines run the same way for all series Alpines and Tigers.

Regards, Robin.

sunbeamowner

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Tracy,

Thank you for the reply. The series V sounds like its plumbed the same way as the Tiger I have. As I stated, I sure that is how the Alpine is as well but the Alpine is not at home. Don't quote me on it, but I think the brake lines run the same way for all series Alpines and Tigers.

Regards, Robin.
Splitter from the front fender, runs down the (drivers) right side (left had drive) of the frame to the live axle, into the right wheel, out again to the left with the bleeder. If you are right hand drive, would it be opposite?

My series 1V is the same (only one bleeder on the right hand side).

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
On my SV (left-hand drive) the line goes from the master along the firewall, to a splitter on the right inner fender. From the splitter, one line goes to the right front brake, which has a bleeder. Another line goes to the left front brake, which also has a bleeder. The 3rd line goes back to flex line which then feeds the right rear brake, (no bleeder). The line comes out of the rr brake and feeds the left rear brake, which does have a bleeder. All counter it has 3 bleeders, 2 at the front, 1 at the rear.
Ron

Tullamore

Donation Time
The Series IV I am finishing up had bleeders on both rear brakes. I replaced all the bleeders with 3/8" speed bleeders which made it a very quick job.

64beam

Donation Time
The Series IV I am finishing up had bleeders on both rear brakes. I replaced all the bleeders with 3/8" speed bleeders which made it a very quick job.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if your series IV an earlier or later model? The speed bleeders are a great addition. I installed some on my Tiger recently and they work very well.

Thanks, Robin.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'll bet that early or late SIV doesn't matter. My guess is that single bleed is the factory set up and any dual bleed is due to modification. I think this is a fairly common mod done when brake lines are replaced. I don't see any value in changing to separate bleeds, but others seem to.

Tom

Ray

Donation Time
More on rear brake bleeders

looking for an opinion. I was considering putting in bleeders on both rear wheels. Any pros or cons? Thanks.
Ray

64beam

Donation Time
looking for an opinion. I was considering putting in bleeders on both rear wheels. Any pros or cons? Thanks.
Ray

Hi Ray,

The only thing I could think of is that you have one extra bleeding point to deal with as well as the modification of the existing setup. I think it would be much more simple with one. Is your current setup damaged?

Regards, Robin.

Ray

Donation Time
Robin,
The car is a complete re-build. everything needs to be fixed or replaced. I have completed the suspension and all of the wheel assemblies, i just haven't attached the brake lines yet. Without the pedals in the tub they would just get in the way. I do recognize what you mean about the convenience of having just one bleeder.

64beam

Donation Time
Robin,
The car is a complete re-build. everything needs to be fixed or replaced. I have completed the suspension and all of the wheel assemblies, i just haven't attached the brake lines yet. Without the pedals in the tub they would just get in the way. I do recognize what you mean about the convenience of having just one bleeder.

Hi Ray,

It would not matter either way as it would be easy enough to fit a tee piece into the brake line. If you go for two rear bleed points, you also have two more possible leak points. If all the piping is OK, leave it as is.

Regards, Robin.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Due to recent experience I am revisiting this issue with a different opinion. I now see an advantage to intalling a Tee on the rear axle, running seperate pressure lines to each axle and using seperate bleeders of each. Here's why. On our Alpines, the brake cylinders slide a bit on the back plate as the brakes are applied. This movement puts a bit of stress on the lines and fittings at each cylinder. I just dscovered a leak that occured on my right rear cylinder, that had not been leaking for the past 3 years and 8000 miles. In fact as I tried to find the leak with the drum off (and a clamp to hold the piston in) I could not see any leaking - UNTIL I pushed the cylinder fwd and back as in normal braking action. Then I saw the leak at the fitting, and it was on the "normally a bleed" fitting. Both lines on the right side cylinder get some stress on them as the cylinder slides fwd and back. But it seems to me that if there was a tee and seperate lines and 2 bleeds, there would be a 33% reduction in chances of leaking fittings due to flex and stress.

Tom