• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series III radiator questions

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi All,

I've had a small/slow leaky radiator in my 1963 Series III GT. I know the prior owner put in Stop-leak about 3 years ago, and the leaking rate has increased recently.

Pulled the radiator last week and took in to a shop to clean/repair. Just got word back that the original fins are too old/weak to be repaired and would need to be re-cored for about $500

Checking what other options I have.

Are there other compatible radiators available?
My understanding is Series III-V are the same radiator, but my searching I only see series V listed in replacements. (why wouldnt they be listed for series III-V?)
I have marginal/medium technical skills so I am looking for an exact size replacement that I dont need to do any modifications to make it work.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

51929956046_677936cefd_b.jpg

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Maybe have another shop check it out.. I have taken several early series radiators to the shop over the years and have never been told it was to weak
or thin to repair, not that it can't be. If you do have to re-core it , up grade the core.

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you.. This would be an upgraded core if I re-core.

Are there aluminum radiators out there to match stock configuration?
I dont think I am smart enough to do modifications if a new one is different than what I have. :)

Maybe have another shop check it out.. I have taken several early series radiators to the shop over the years and have never been told it was to weak
or thin to repair, not that it can't be. If you do have to re-core it , up grade the core.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ernesto, Are you in Chicago ?

I have had extremely good results in recoring the Alpine stock radiators.

I have a shop friend (Gerald) in Anderson, SC that will recore with all copper, three tubes and 15 to 16 fines per inch for around $450 plus shipping. Prices do change so I will check for the latest if you are interested. Gerald has recored upwards to 15 radiators for me and I am well pleased with the results.

If you wish to discuss possible re coring yours send me an E-mail to tiger2dan at gmail dot com

Or call my cell number 864-554-zero 8 one four. Please leave me a message if I don't answer right a way,

DanR

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Make sure it actually needs to be recored. I had a shop give me the same spiel and ended up at a different rad shop that fixed and redid mine for 95 bucks.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Scotty, if you notice not all of the stock Alpine radiators have three tubes for transfer of the water and most will have 9 fins per inch (FPI).

Transfer of water is important, but the fins do the most work at dissipating the heat. That is why I like the additional FPI.

All of my radiators had 17 FPI up until a couple years ago. Now, the cores available only have 15 or 16 which are near double dissipation of the stock.

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for the input all.

I decided to go with getting my original radiator re-cored to a higher spec like DanR mentioned.

It will take a week or so, and I'll see what I wind up with, and I can post a few pics of old and new.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Thanks for the input all.

I decided to go with getting my original radiator re-cored to a higher spec like DanR mentioned.

It will take a week or so, and I'll see what I wind up with, and I can post a few pics of old and new.
While its out make sure you do a thorough flush of the block and heater core... When you put the new radiator back in run a gano filter so the new core doesn't pick up any crap

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
Got the newly re-cored radiator back this morning.
Hope to get it all put back this weekend despite being cold in Chicagoland..

51959168987_12ac0c09ff_b.jpg

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
Grrr.. I had a little time so I snuck out to the garage this afternoon and fitted the re-cored radiator.

All went in with minimal curse words, but the radiator cap doesn't have quite enough clearance to close.

It looks like the filler neck sits a fraction of an inch lower than before and the cap now comes in contact with the body work.
There is a small amount of side to side adjustment but nothing up and down.

Not quite sure yet how to correct this.. possibly a couple washers on the top mounts to space the radiator back a touch, but I cant go too far or I'll get too close to the fan.

51960052427_af8d329cd7_b.jpg

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not quite sure yet how to correct this.. possibly a couple washers on the top mounts to space the radiator back a touch, but I cant go too far or I'll get too close to the fan.

51960052427_af8d329cd7_b.jpg

EV,

Have you thought about a small bit of grinding on the lower edge of the mounting slots?

Should work, since you only need a small amount of movement.

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
Have you thought about a small bit of grinding on the lower edge of the mounting slots?

Should work, since you only need a small amount of movement.

Thank you.. no, this kind of stuff is new to me and I didnt think of that.
Guess I'll have to pull the radiator out again and figure out how to enlarge the slot to be able to adjust it a little.

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for the tip @husky drvr !!
I trimmed a bit of the mounting slots. It fits good enough for now, but it is still a tiny bit too close. I may also try a washer on each of the top mounts to space it back a little bit more.

Had a small leak from the top hose, so snugged things up a tad to fix.

Took it for a short spin around the neighborhood, but the temp gauge never came up.
It may have been because it was only 35 degrees out, or that I only went a couple miles,
but I think I may have a new problem to chase down now.
I'll give it a better test run after it warms up a bit more and stops raining in Chicagoland.

51966488817_b6bb3ed15b_c.jpg

51976555489_27da899d75_c.jpg