• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series II tax value; NC

mikephillips

Donation Time
As Bob mentioned Ohio is a pretty good place to be licensed these days. Up until a year or so ago historic tags were only supposed to be driven to/from an official documented event and of you couldn't prove it in theory they were supposed to ticket you. But they changed it to 2500 miles unlimited use per year and since they don't document starting or ending milage it's effectively as much as you want to run year round. Along with the one time fee for those of us unlikely to be around in 50 years it's like a dollar a year to be registered.

65beam

Donation Time
tax value

mike,
now that my van has enough years on it to qualify i've considered trying to insure with hagerty and get the one time plate. we only use it to tow sunbeams so i wonder what a state trooper would say if he saw a car with historical tags being towed by a van with historical tags.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Series II tax value

Made another trip to the tax office this AM , armed w/ more data and a determined attitude. After a sit down w/ the tax administrator I walked away w/ a tax value of $8,900.00. So, I am a happy camper.

mferris

Donation Time
Good reference point. I'd certainly sell my disassembled SV for $8900.00 to the state of NC any day of the week!

-M

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
But how about it's finished price? I thought about getting an appraisal but I think club members are better judges of fair prices on these cars.
I did use the fact that my car is modified to negotiate the value relative to an unmodified one.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Classic and Sports Car Magazine (Brit Mag that seems to avoid Rootes Grp) prints lists of Auction Sales here and the UK. They identify Tigers vs Alpines and there is a huge difference. Back issues maybe? Maybe the auction houses here can help...

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
George and Tracey, thanks for the info.
I understand that an Antique tag in NC limits the tax value at $500.00 but places restrictions on how much it can be driven [parades, etc] but I don't know all the details yet.