• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series I race car for sale

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Hey, people can do whatever they want with their Alpines.

That said, I don't know why anyone would take spend so much for a really nice, stock 50-year-old car and substantially alter it for racing when there are sooooo many big-fin rolling shells going begging that would make a much better candidate.

65beam

Donation Time
series 1

i don't know how many of you have bought an original car with low miles, but i know i have. the original paint is enamel which after 40 plus years is very hard to bring back to a good shine. the stiching in the seats tends to tear out and usually tears the vinyl if it doesn't tear before the stiching. the seat foams turn to dust and the door panels warp. i have found also that the first time you get the shop vac near the carpet, you're left with the backing still on the floor and the knap is in the vac. there are so many problems that show up once you start driving an original car. that is if anything works. he was smart to start with this car since the chassis is still probably strong and may not show much flex of the chassis. we are restoring a rust free car at this time and we have had to repair the usual cracks that tend to show on spring hangers. we also have rewelded the x frame to the floor since the factory used a minimum amount of welding. the same goes for the sills and everything under the car. we have many hours just in welding on the underneath side of the car. he had a good starting point by buying this car. it may have required a lot more work than you think. i think he was smart to start with this car.

old grumpy

Donation Time
I am not really sure what this is about. Is it the matter of taking a very expensive renovated car and taking the bumpers off and painting wire wheels black, or is the matter of changing an original car to a not-so-original.
A subtle difference?
A matter of morality?

To have a lot of money means you have a lot of options to do stupid things.
I won't mind do stupid things........if I only could afford it.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I don't know why people think this guy is stupid. He bought a nice car, so he wouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars, trying to restore a sad example to the same condition. I used to tell my customers to buy a car that was cheap and needed work, so that it wouldn't cost them as much, but that was a mistake. I saw my friends spend tons of money, to get their Alpines to where they were presentable. It not only took a lot of money to do, but it took a lot of time too. I now advise them to buy the best example they can afford, because it will be a lot easier and cheaper in the long run.

I know that a lot of you wouldn't do what this guy has done, but he may have valid reasons for what he did. What I think is silly, (I won't use the word stupid, because it offends people) is trying to restore an Alpine to how they were, exactly as they were when they came off of the assembly line forty years ago. I read some pretty silly arguments about what was original and what wasn't. What color something was painted or not. One guy swears that this is so, and another is just as convinced that it isn't. To me, you can't make a virgin from an old housewife. You can be a virgin only once in your life. When you have been initiated, you no longer can be a virgin. I like seeing an Alpine that has been restored, but trying to make it a virgin again, is more than silly to me.

I have seen some modified Alpines that I don't like, but it is the choice of the owner to do as he thinks is best. I would never criticize anyone for their choices, but that doesn't mean that I have to like what their choice is. I can't see that this guy has done very much to modify his Alpine anyway. Every thing I can see, can be changed back within a couple of hours.

What I'd like to know, is who has made any one of us as the legal authority to judge this guy? I don't mean to offend anyone, but I think each one should keep their negative opinions to themselves.

Jose

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Heck, if I had the money, I'd buy one of those coveted pristine "super rare" muscle cars (Yenko, COPO, Shelby, BOSS, etc) from Barrett-Jackson or Mecum and drive the p!$$ out of it.

mototron

Donation Time
It Sure is One Ugly Race Car
If you were going to build a Race Alpine at Least
Make it Look a Little Sporty
If you Ask Me Vintage race Cars should look a
Little Ratty

Rocco

John Boggis

Donation Time
I'm all for folks modifying good original Alpines, just makes mine rarer and worth more.
I did briefly think of a racing Alpine but then went for one of these mothers below !

65beam

Donation Time
race car

i have to agree with jose . it's now next to impossible to build a car to factory specs. no reputable body man would paint a car that bad. i know what my body man said to me when i asked if he could duplicate an original paint job. he has been restoring sunbeams for 40 years. the same applies to chrome,etc. the problem with an original car is that the paint,interior,etc will deteriate so bad if used that the value of the car will greatly decrease. a well restored,detailed car is going to have a higher value than an original due to the quality of the work done to the car. that's a proven fact. just take a look at the values placed on restored cars by insurance companies.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi John,

You made the right choice. I would rather have that Merc, than any Alpine you can mention.

Jose

I'm all for folks modifying good original Alpines, just makes mine rarer and worth more.
I did briefly think of a racing Alpine but then went for one of these mothers below !