• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 5 gearbox rear cover oil seal

alpiner

Diamond Level Sponsor
Is it possible to remove and replace the gearbox rear cover oil seal in the Series 5 without removing the gearbox? Mine has a minor leak, but is messy.
Alpiner

65beam

Donation Time
seal

You can pop the seal out without removing the trans from the car. I use a seal puller but you can use a screw driver to pry the old seal out. Some of the trans had a snap ring holding the seal so check to see if your trans has it. Once the old seal is out tap the new one in.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
It was no picnic when I did this with the tranny in the car. The seal was not that easy to remove and the tunnel makes things challenging. I ended up poking a hole in the seal to enable it to be hooked/grabbed. My Series IV motor had the retaining ring. Wanting to make sure I didn't tweak the new seal on installation, I used a common technique of tapping in with a large socket. But I had to find a way to extend the "tool" out to where I could tap it.

See photos.
Rick

Attachments

• P1060978r.jpg
    P1060978r.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 26
  • P1070094r.jpg
    P1070094r.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 28
  • P1070096r.jpg
    P1070096r.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 26

alpiner

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rear Tranny Seal

Thanks for the input. Perhaps if I unbolt the rear mounts and drop the engine/tranny a bit it will make the job a bit easier.
Alpiner

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
alpiner
While still in the car through the tunnel I used Matco 3 piece seal puller middle size dug out the seal, then with a long thin screwdriver collapsed the outer seal with a twist opened it enough to garb it with small long nose vise grips came right out
Installing the seal I cleaned end of trans with qutip then used silicone grease set seal about half way by hand, then tapped it flush with 1.5 socket with extension bar then using cut off piece of 1.75 exhaust pipe about 1 inch taped to the socket tapped it in all the way. worked great this is for overdrive trans

good luck
Stephen

Last edited: