• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 4 Gearbox Gront Seal ?

kwhite

Donation Time
Hello Friends,

While I have the motor and gearbox out, I thought it might be a good time to change the leaking transmission seals.

The rear is no problem but the front... is it really as involved as the manual says? I am working out of a 100 year old garage with hand tools. All I want to do is keep the gear oil - (Rootes manual says motor oil???) inside the case. Do I need profesional (Automotive) help?

Thanks as always Sunbeam guys and gals. Your insight is so valued.

Kevin

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
...All I want to do is keep the gear oil - (Rootes manual says motor oil???) inside the case.

Huh? What does that mean?
If you want to change the seals, the trans needs to come out (and so does the oil when you pull the trans out. Otherwise, its all over the shop floor).
Drill a small hole in the seal's sheetmetal and insert a small sheet metal screw, then pull on the screw to yank out the seal.
Jan

kwhite

Donation Time
Thanks for the information. I was hoping that someone might know of an easier way to change the front seal on a transmission that is out of the car.

kwhite

Donation Time
Thanks for the confimation. There was gear oil when drained.

Yeah, I wondered what a "gront" was too. Fingers going faster than the brain, imagine that!