• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 3 Alpine for sale on Yahoo

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Allan, one way would be from service personel buying cars in Europe and then shipping them home with when their tour was over. My Alpine has the original warranty and service booklet stating it was purchased in Paris with the 500 mile service done in Brussels, Belgium. That points to a serviceman stationed with the NATO forces. It lacks the French ID plate, so it might have been factory ordered and shipped to Paris for delivery. Jeff

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Jeff that's interesting. Always fun to learn of these cars' history. Wonder if any such plates in German or others show up from time to time.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Interesting color in the description - Burgany. Half way between burgundy and mahogany? (Was this a Rootes color?)

fj55mike

Donation Time
That's very interesting, my E-type came from a dealer in Paris as well, and I have a similar data plate Click me. That's an interesting thought about the servicemen, but were there any U.S. Military in Paris by the 60's?

--mike

cdk84

Donation Time
Alpine Francaise

My Wedgewood blue racing Alpine, B9202627, bears chassis ID identical to the plate shown above. My car dates as the first car built on January 1 1961 (no New Years Day celebration in England? (Did they get all their yayas out on Boxing Day, their traditional day to 'tie one on' with friends and family?)), which would place this red car in early to mid-1961, late March to early May. Consulting old records would date it more precisely.

There were American servicemen and government employees (as well as embassy attachees) in Paris until the mid 1960s; one of them is a close friend. Whether the cars were tagged in Paris due to local tax and inventory is unknown but likely.

Neither Doug May, my car's previous owner, nor I know the way the car came to the US. We do know that it has been a racing car since 1962 or 1963. Both the red car pictured and mine were built in England and exported to France as completed vehicles, not CKDs (complete knock down) which would have been shipped on a palette and subsequently assembled by the destination dealer. I'm not certain about this last bit: I believe CKDs were destined for the African market; whether they were sent elsewhere is beyond my knowledge, but Ian, Jan and a handful of others like Norm Miller would know for certain.

Cheers, David Kellogg
1961 Alpine racecar B9202627

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
My brother puchased his SIII in 1962 while he was stationed in Naples Italy in the Navy. The Navy shipped it back to the states a year later along with his houshold items. I can't remember where he said it was puchased, taxed, tagged, etc.

Tom

Beamin Dave

Silver Level Sponsor
I have one of these French sold Alpines. It is a S3 GT B9200862GTLRO. Color code #67 Light Metallic Green. My speedo is in MPH so could have been changed in its life. Here are a couple of pictures of "Frenchy". I bought it from around Sacremento Ca. It was on ebay a couple of years ago and a slow restoration in progress.:eek:
Dave Green

Attachments

• IM000632.JPG
    IM000632.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IM000651.JPG
    IM000651.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 10