• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

series 2 idle carb problems

T

turbinepete

As part of the rebuild of my car, I redid the carbs with a kit from VB.

The engine starts well but the idle is inexistant. I keep the engine alive with fuel from the acc pump by giving it gas when it`s about to die. At high RPM`s, it runs quite well.

What I think is happening is that I am pulling air at the gasket. The wall where the idle fuel passages are is quite thin and that`s why I think I have my problem. I was thinking of applying a little bit of sealube (which is used in aircraft and does not dissolve in fuel) to keep the air from being sucked in.

Anybody care to comment?

skywords

Donation Time
As part of the rebuild of my car, I redid the carbs with a kit from VB.

The engine starts well but the idle is inexistant. I keep the engine alive with fuel from the acc pump by giving it gas when it`s about to die. At high RPM`s, it runs quite well.

What I think is happening is that I am pulling air at the gasket. The wall where the idle fuel passages are is quite thin and that`s why I think I have my problem. I was thinking of applying a little bit of sealube (which is used in aircraft and does not dissolve in fuel) to keep the air from being sucked in.

Anybody care to comment?

Hello Pete
I assume you are talking about the infamous Zeniths? I think they stumbled right off idle when new. The sealube is a good idea and should be used sparingly on all the sealing surfaces. It was called Fuelube not to long ago and it is great stuff, I use it on some engine gaskets as well if I want to reuse a gasket later such as rocker box. I have found a simalar substance on gaskets on my cars that I think came from assembly at the Rootes factory, a none drying paste of about the same consistancy. The Brits probably have there own form of Peanut butter, maybe Nick can remember what theirs is called.

I have found it helpful to run my idles on the high side at about 900 to 1000 rpm. I will probably be scolded for doing it but the carbs behave themselves better at those idles. A warm up before driving is most benificial to their performance, they are cold blooded.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
> Ignition and valves must be properly adjusted and working.

> Make sure the lower throttle section of the carb is tight to the body.

> Check for worn shafts that would allow air to leak by at idle.

> Make sure carbs are synchronized for air flow.

> Idle speed about 800+/- 50 rpm approx. on a hot engine.

> Keep in mind that these carbs are set up to just off a rich idle condition not at the best idle possible.

Just a few more thoughts,

bkasl

Donation Time
What style of Weber and manifold did you use, I have a S2 with twin Zenith and have often considered the Weber conversion. 40? Brent

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Carb issues

Brent,

It sounds like you have a air leak. Unfortunately, the carb base and faces have a tendency to warp. When apart it is good to take a fine sheet of wet/dry paper on a flat surface (make sure it is flat) and "face" the carb surface.

You know, I am looking at a direct replacement for the Zenith. The Weber 34 ICH (ICT) mates up to the stock manifold. The catch is the linkage. I am not sure if the 34's will work but it looks promissing.

Here's the benefit if it can be worked out:
1) Carbs are relatively inexpensive - less than $150/each.
2) jetting is available
3) should flow better than the DGV.

Looks "near" stock. The ICT version doesn't have a choke the ICH does.
If it did work out then for around $350 you could have virtually new Zenith like performance - possibly better than the DGV. Keep in mind the 34's were more economy oriented but I am hopeful.

Steve

T

turbinepete

I applied a light coat of sealube to my carb gaskets and my idle is now fine. Great stuff this sealube.