• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 1 Oil Pump

Wally Luther

Silver Level Sponsor
My 1959 Series 1 oil pump is putting-out low oil pressure. I would like to find a new or rebuilt pump or buy new or in-tolerence impeller set. Can anyone offer guidance?
Thanks,
Wally

RootesRacer

Donation Time
If a 1494 pump or its gerotor set are unavailable, a 1592 or even 1725 gerotor can be machined down to the shorter 1494 size.

Mind you though, the pump is seldom the reason for low oil pressure, its the condition of the main and rod bearings that almost always yield LOP.

65beam

Donation Time
oil pump

the pump for a 1494 is different than the 1500 or 1725. i would pull the bottom of the pump and check the clearances. as rootes racer said the problem is usually the bearings. the local machine shop usually picks thru the bearings i carry in until he finds what he needs and sometimes does some work on the crank. he starts with one thousanth clearance on the bearings. he also tells me to break it in easy. don't break it.

alpine_64

Donation Time
the pump for a 1494 is different than the 1500 or 1725.
Bob, I think you mean 1600... the 1494 is the 1500.. the 1592 is the 1600. You can adapt the later 1725 pump to fit the 3 main 1500/1500 motors as i did. If the LOP is a result of clearence issues.. its not goign to solve the issue, I did mine as the pump was worn and the 1725 pump gives improved flow/psi.

I also think that the 1500 (1494) and 1600 (1592) pumps are interchangeable without mods. I think the 1600 and 1725 are different... the swicth from 3 to 5 bearing setup and different sumps.

65beam

Donation Time
oil pump

michael,
i did mean the 1600. i blame mistakes on OLD TIMERS DISEASE. you'll get it someday! if you have clearance problems with the oil pump, the usual culprit is the base plate. you should hunt out the tech tip that tiger tom did at a time when you were much younger. it tells how to solve this problem. it's something i've done to several pumps. it helps a lot. members should take the time to scan thru the TE/AE tech tips. they would probably find many things that would solve many of their problems. most tips are from guys that now have old timers disease.

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,
i did mean the 1600. i blame mistakes on OLD TIMERS DISEASE. you'll get it someday! if you have clearance problems with the oil pump, the usual culprit is the base plate. you should hunt out the tech tip that tiger tom did at a time when you were much younger. it tells how to solve this problem. it's something i've done to several pumps. it helps a lot. members should take the time to scan thru the TE/AE tech tips. they would probably find many things that would solve many of their problems. most tips are from guys that now have old timers disease.

Bob,

know that tech tip well, had performed the sanding the face on the glass with my dads 1725 pump many years ago.. indeed before i was in my 20's.. for some of us we dont take all those years to work out the small issues ;-) my pump on the 1500 motor was not worth fixing and the 1725 pump gave me extra benifits too.

65beam

Donation Time
oil pump

michael,
most people have other things on their minds when they're in their teens. those things included chasing girls, having fun,etc. how did you find time to work on a car?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Some of us had time for both!

Me at about 18, restoring my 1958 Turner 950S, the only known steel-bodied Turner...

Me-at-18.jpg

Oh... and after:

t_photos068b.jpg

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not sure who owns it now... last known owner was a guy by the name of "Dan Petterson".

I sold it to a VP at Amex many, many years ago... after blowing the motor by improperly installing the oil filter, he then shunted it at a race thereafter. **sigh** Wish I still had it, though. Serial # was 30/068.

In speaking with Jack Turner (deceased in 2011, sadly) he said it was the buck used to make the original Turner mold (803cc), and when they changed the body style part way through the 950cc models to include fins on the rear wings (fins were the rage in 1957-59), they no longer needed the buck, so to make a few extra 'bucks' (pardon the pun) they popped it onto a chassis and sent it to America. It started life at a A J Pierson's, a sports car dealer in Orlando, Florida, then made its way to Minnesota, then to PA, where it languished in a field, rotting away... which is where I rescued it, after finding it with grass growing through the steering wheel.

After the new owner's shunt at Lime Rock in 1999...

t_photos068d.jpg

t_photos068c.jpg

Interesting factoid... Petula Clark (the singer) had one back in the day - it was her first car after getting her license - and it was allegedly painted... ahem... 'nipple pink'... although no known color photos exist. She did several advert photos for Turner, as below. Note the cherished plate - I'll bet that's worth a fortune now.

176174.jpg

Another photo or Petula in her Turner 803cc is linked below...

...you can kind of see it may indeed have been pink, noting the contrast with her white blouse.

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,
most people have other things on their minds when they're in their teens. those things included chasing girls, having fun,etc. how did you find time to work on a car?

Bob,

If you stay fit and dont carry lots of balast you find girls tend to come to you.. who knows.. maybe driving around in the "cute" little british sports car helped. I also managed to find time for a university education too.. they were very busy years. ;)

you were running moonshine back in your teens right? :D