• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 1 & 2 rear shock Conversion

britbeam

Donation Time
Im Looking at a West Midlands catalogue and they offer a rear shock conversion kit(lever shock to tube). Has anyone used this kit to accomplish the conversion?
Dwain V6 Krazy

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Shocking

I have not but sounds interesting. keep us posted if you try it.

Rick

I just saw a note on the conversion, one of the guys here had either posted it or I was wacky too.
If I find it I'll post it back , but he will probably read these lines of witt.
Chuck

JonPiz

Donation Time
I have some pictures of this conversion unfortunately they are really bad photcopies so no good to post. It involves using a bottom mount same as S3 on the leaf spring. The top is a bit more involved!! Just behind the hood bin hinge, a square hole is cut in the floor about 4" square. An open box about 4" cubed is then welded over this hole with the open side down. The box has a hole in the middle of the top for the top of the shock. The box allows for the length of the shock. Looks very neat and strong.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I have some pictures of this conversion unfortunately they are really bad photcopies so no good to post. It involves using a bottom mount same as S3 on the leaf spring. The top is a bit more involved!! Just behind the hood bin hinge, a square hole is cut in the floor about 4" square. An open box about 4" cubed is then welded over this hole with the open side down. The box has a hole in the middle of the top for the top of the shock. The box allows for the length of the shock. Looks very neat and strong.
No need to cut a square hole and welding in a box. I just drilled holes about where the later Alpines have them, then welded a thick washer around the hole, to stiffen the sheet metal there. The Series II that I did this too, has been handling fine for the past 12 years. it is simple and inexpensive to do. To handle the bottom of the shock, you can have a bolt welded to the lower spring plate.

Jose:)

JonPiz

Donation Time
No need to cut a square hole and welding in a box. I just drilled holes about where the later Alpines have them, then welded a thick washer around the hole, to stiffen the sheet metal there. The Series II that I did this too, has been handling fine for the past 12 years. it is simple and inexpensive to do. To handle the bottom of the shock, you can have a bolt welded to the lower spring plate.

I'm interested in your conversion as it sounds alot easier. I guess it uses a shorter shock? Dont suppose you know which shock you used and what the max and min length is

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
We used Spax shocks for a stock, later series Alpine application, so a stock shock would work fine.

The conversion kits that I have seen photos of, use a shorter shock, because they are mounted straight up and down, where the method I use, places them at an angle, like the later series Alpines have them.

britbeam

Donation Time
rear shock mounting Late series Alpine

Could someone post a picture of the Later series 4/5 lower rear shock mount? Thanks
Dwain V6 Krazy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Could someone post a picture of the Later series 4/5 lower rear shock mount? Thanks
Dwain V6 Krazy
Hi Dwain,

The later series mounts are welded to the rear end housing, so would be a bit difficult to do while the rear end is in the car. I would weld a piece of 3/8's steel, with a hole the same diameter as the rubber bushings for the shocks you are going to use, on an angle, to the lower spring plate.

If you use a set of Lakewood traction bars, they come with the ears already welded on, so you don't need to fuss with welding them to your lower spring plate.

Jose :)

britbeam

Donation Time
Hi Dwain,

The later series mounts are welded to the rear end housing, so would be a bit difficult to do while the rear end is in the car. I would weld a piece of 3/8's steel, with a hole the same diameter as the rubber bushings for the shocks you are going to use, on an angle, to the lower spring plate.

If you use a set of Lakewood traction bars, they come with the ears already welded on, so you don't need to fuss with welding them to your lower spring plate.

Jose :)

Ive been checking out the Lakewood traction bars but havent found the right one with the ears welded on. If anyone has a part number for a supplier I would appreceiate it. Jose I saw where you mentioned about welding a bolt to the spring plate are we talking about two different types of shocks. Seems a bolt welded to the spring plate would be for a rod end type lower mount and a 3/8" plate on a angle for a spear type mount. Am I reading you right on this. I have found a used lever shock to install temporarly to get rid of the clunking noise of the bad shock.
Dwain V6 Krazy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Dwain,

If you use the Lakewood bars, you would use a shock that has bayonettes on both ends. If you weld a bolt to the lower plate, you can use a stock type shock.

The bar you want, is for an early Mustang and Ford. JEGS has them listed on line. Look up their catalogue on line, and look under Lakewood.

Jose

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I just looked up the part number from JEGS. It is 620-21604. This bar is for the 1964 to early 70's Ford and Mustang with the small axle tube housing

Jose

britbeam

Donation Time
I just looked up the part number from JEGS. It is 620-21604. This bar is for the 1964 to early 70's Ford and Mustang with the small axle tube housing

Jose

Got it Jose your da man. I see what you were telling me about how the traction bars have a front or rear axle choice for staggered shock position.
Thanks
Dwain V6 Krazy

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Lower rear shock mount pictures

Dwain V6 Krazy

Someone may as well benefit from my rear spring debacle... Hope I'm not chewing up too much disk space.

Email me if you need better, different pictures I'll head back out to the garage if I'm not already there.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Jose

I'll need to do this on my S2. Plan to put a narrowed Ford 8" in mine. Anyone have pictures of a S2->Ford 8" conversion?